Accelerator stuck to the floor!!...nearly ruined new trousers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In a past life I once had the very same problem in a Ford Capri...:eek:
don't know what is worse...have been scared s#!tle$$ :eek: or admitting on here that I once owned a Capri!!! :doh: lol :D

Nice thread revival!!

It happened to me once, the pedal got stuck because the mat had moved between it and the side kick panel. This was on an Alfa many years ago.

Lexus IS 200 and movable mat - happened several time. My partner could never understand why the mat had been chucked to the other end of the car whenever I drove it.

Lexus IS 200 and movable mat - happened several time. My partner could never understand why the mat had been chucked to the other end of the car whenever I drove it.

Long long time ago, XJ12. Not funny at all I can tell ya! Coming down M3 to come off at Sunbury. Had to keep going over the flyover before managed to turn it off and then no power steering!! and those things were hard without it! Linkage wheel had jamed.

Coming down M3 to come off at Sunbury. Had to keep going over the flyover before managed to turn it off and then no power steering!! and those things were hard without it!
I had another scary moment about a mile from there. Was heading away from Sunbury Cross on the A308, approaching the Ashford roundabout at approx. 70 (ahem) in my old Granada 3.0 Ghia ('Sweeny car' ;)). Just as I took my foot off the accelerator to start braking the engine stopped dead ... no power steering and no brake assistance :eek:

Just made it round with both hands on one side of the wheel and standing on the brake pedal. One head gasket had blown big time and the cylinder bank that side had filled with water!

I had another scary moment about a mile from there. Was heading away from Sunbury Cross on the A308, approaching the Ashford roundabout at approx. 70 (ahem) in my old Granada 3.0 Ghia ('Sweeny car' ;)). Just as I took my foot off the accelerator to start braking the engine stopped dead ... no power steering and no brake assistance :eek:

Just made it round with both hands on one side of the wheel and standing on the brake pedal. One head gasket had blown big time and the cylinder bank that side had filled with water!

Good ol days!

Happened to me in a Golf

This happened to me in a Mk3 Golf a few years ago. However was not the head Gasket. To be honest never did figure it out as sold the car a few weeks later ;-)

I can imagine a head gasket is gonna cost more than the car is worth? maybe time to sell?

I can imagine a head gasket is gonna cost more than the car is worth? maybe time to sell?
This was 30 years ago!

Luckily the car had a warranty - both cylinder heads needed to be machined.

Granada1.jpg

Last edited:
happened to me in a w202 turned out to be a accelerator cable needed to be sprayed up with 3 in 1 and then perfect a heart stopping moment i must say

My dear departed father had one of those as a company car, one of the early ones. He'd had it about 10 days, so just run in. He was driving down the M4, and decided to see how it performed . He got to just under 100mph and the bonnet opened, bent itself over the roof, removed the windscreen and blocked all forward vision.

By some miracle he managed to stop without any drama, and without needing a change of trouserage.

The problem was at 90+ the underbonnet pressure increased, caused the bonnet to curve and shorten slightly. If the main catch was at the extreme of tolerance, it unlatched, and the second safety catch wasn't strong enough. The car was replaced under warranty, the shell was distorted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom