Access steering shaft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gooon

Car
W205 c200
Hi everyone, I've searched and found lots of posts about squeaky steering but no one has come up with a good solution for fixing it. Mine only squeaks when it's cold and wet outside, somehow water or condensation must have gotten into the steering components.

I found this video on YouTube if a Toyota with the same noise, the guy sprayed white Grease into the shoe thing of his steering wheel and it fixed it. Although I'm driving a merc I'm thinking I could do the same thing, only issue is I can't get at the base of the steering wheel.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've had a look under the steering column and can only see one socket screw that's holding the access plate in place, can anyone tell me how many screws are down there and if I need to be aware of any leavers/buttons/lights/airbags?! Before I remove it? Better still some basic instructions on how to take it apart would be much appreciated.

I'm going to spray some silicon lubricant in there, or maybe wd40? What are you guys thoughts in this? Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Mine (2005 S class) squeaked in the drier summer months and I noted this week it had stopped! I would use silicon lube over WD for this job, can't help with number of screws detail sorry.

If anyone follows in my footsteps I fixed this problem. The squeak is caused by a small rubber sheeth which is like a bellows at the base of the steering shaft where it connects through the firewall (like in the YouTube video I attached). You can actually get at it without taking any of the panels in the footwell off, you'll be able to feel the rubber bellows and identify it because it compresses when you push it. I sprayed a tiny bit of PTFE lubricant between the bellows and the shaft and the squeezing went away.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom