Access to engine mount on drivers side on a 2003 i6 e320 cdi w211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonzowicked

Car
2003 E320 CDI Saloon, 2002 C200 AMG Evolution Coupe
I have read that you can remove and replace the engine mount from the top if you remove the air box and plate below.

I successfully remove the air box today after a bit of a struggle but did not remove the plate as there was one Torx bolt which looked inaccessible!

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

I did this a few years back, with the other engine mount and the gearbox mount. Did not remove anything from the top. Used a 16mm (I think) ratcheting spanner for the nut on the top of the mount. The mount can be manoeuvred out from the bottom with only the undertray removed but I can't remember if the gearbox mount was unbolted at the time.

I do remember having to 'tilt' the engine a bit towards passenger side and it being a two man job: One to pull the engine which was jacked against the sump with a thick bit of timber to spread the load, the other to get the old mount out and new one in.

Be careful to manage hoses and cables around the bulkhead. Pretty sure I removed some of the cable ties o to give some slack.

Big improvement when done. Good luck.

Thanks Richteo,

There seems to be a difference of opinion about this depending on whether the car is LHD or a V6! I think I will try the underbody approach to start with, passenger side first and see how I get on 🤞. I can probably get my neighbour to help rock the engine if needed (he used to be an AA recovery officer 👍).

Watch this space .....

Bob

Would it make the job any easier if I used one of these instead of jacking the engine up?B9C7CDC3-8931-4E85-9D93-75D94E9A6B0B.jpegB9C7CDC3-8931-4E85-9D93-75D94E9A6B0B.jpeg
B9C7CDC3-8931-4E85-9D93-75D94E9A6B0B.jpeg

OK Petrol Pete,

What I now plan to do is to use a scissor jack and a suitable block of wood under the sump to gradually lift the engine whilst I am under the car so I can see what is happening ...... more control than a hydraulic jack when lowering IMHO.

Needless to say the car will be well supported on axle stands!

Have to do all this in the road and single handed ☹️. Oh for a large garage but I am not that wealthy so I just enjoy tinkering with cars 🤗

Thanks for your comment.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom