Access to fuses numbered "200" in W213.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SCRL

Car
W213 E220d
Chaps,

I am struggling to find a source of IGNITION-controlled power for a hard-wired webcam in my W213 E-Class. I've tried all the fuses in the easily accessible fusebox in the passenger footwell (fuses 301-341), and they're all "always on". So now I want to try the fuses in the harder-to-access fusebox in the end of dash on the drivers side. These are the fuses numbered 200-220 in the fuse diagram.

However, I really don't know how to get the end trim off without damaging it. Taking my heart in my hands, I've levered away with a trim tool (see photo), and I can see that it is held on with clips and that there ARE fuses underneath, but it feels like any more force on it would break it. I can't for the life of me see how this piece comes out without stripping out more trim, but SURELY it must be possible to access the fuses without a major strip down, mustn't it?

Does anyone know how this bit of trim comes out so that fuses can be accessed? Simply yanking on it hard feels like it will end in tears.

Alternatively, can anyone save me the bother by confirming whether I'm likely to find ignition controlled power in this fusebox, and if not, what might be the easiest source inside the car? I'm guessing that part of the reason there might be different boxes is because some boxes are ignition controlled, and some are always-on, etc. So do I need to identify the right box?

Any auto-electricians who can give me hint?

Simon.

IMG_3950.jpg

Pull off the rubber seal on the door shut in the area of the panel only, then the panel should ease out.

Rear fusebox only, unless your car has a lighter or a power socket in the glovebox. Or you are willing to do lots of disassembly to get to the power socket for rear passengers at the back of the centre console.

R

Thank you both. Based on this advice, I’ve run a wire from the rear fuse box and the camera now goes on and off with the ignition. (I did have it wired to an always on fuse in the front, but even though the camera enters standby after 30 minutes of not moving, the current draw is still enough to slowly drain the battery if you don’t drive enough every day).

Looks like a ddpai you have, and yes, despite it ‘turning off’ after a defined time, set from the app it does still draw some current if wired up to a permanent live.

Off topic but... Nice colour of wood trim there. The only options I’ve seen on UK cars have been that aluminium-y finish. Bit shiny for me.

Was this a special order colour?

Looks like a ddpai you have, and yes, despite it ‘turning off’ after a defined time, set from the app it does still draw some current if wired up to a permanent live.

Yes - ddpai. Works very nicely, and I measured the standby currrent and calculated that the battery would cope. But actually, I leave the vehicle standing on more days than I thought I would, and so I’ve had to swap to a switched connection and lose the “parking protection”. Oh well...

Reactions: Ted
8CA3EC7D-6FC5-4C62-8156-1D0925D9CED8.jpeg
Off topic but... Nice colour of wood trim there. The only options I’ve seen on UK cars have been that aluminium-y finish. Bit shiny for me.

Was this a special order colour?

It does look nice, but actually this is a standard colour. I lightened the photo to get some details into the area of interest and it’s made the wood look a couple of shades lighter than it actually is. Above is the original photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom