Accessing Home Network while on the move with Laptop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barflux

Car
CLK320 Avantgarde
Hi,

Anyone know how to access your own home network while away? I have four computers at home and wanted to also know how to access each one individually? I have PcAnywhere, and I am running Windows XP on all?

I don't know if I need to set up a VPN with a remote client software on my laptop, or if it is something to do with Port Forwarding?

Appreciate anyone's help.

Thanks

Unless you have four static public IP addresses you might have a problem here.

As a workaround, you can set your router to allow one PC to be accessable which you can then PC anywhere to very easily asuming that you have left the correct ports open on the firewall (from memory 5631-5632). Once PCAnywhere'd in to one machine, the workaround could be running VNC on that machine. This way you could PCAnywhere to the master machine and VNC from that box to the other PC's on your network using the internal NAT addresses. VNC is also free :) If they are all XP machines, you might also be able to run terminal services through a PCAnywhere connection although I haven't tried this particlar way.

I hope that makes some sense to you.

Currently they ar one DHCP, but I was considering to give Static IP Addresses.

If you are given a static IP Address from BT for your Broadband, then when one types that IP address you go striaght to the Home Network Router.

So I saw something on Port Forwarding where you type " :80 " after the IP address to go straight the computer you want, providing th Port Forwarding has been setup for it too?

Thanks

I access my home PC from other locations regularly using Remote Desktop (built in to XP pro). I use port forwarding on the router to get to one of my PC's with a static IP address (NAT through the router).

As for an IP address, well BT have given me a dynamic IP address and I use NO-IP (free) to generate me a pseudo static IP address. Also lets me register a DNS entry for my home network.

If BT change my IP address, NO-IP updates DNS with the new address so I only ever have to connect to the DNS name.

Once I'm on my main PC, I can connect to any other PC with remote desktop again to fix issues etc. The other PC's are DHCP.

In fact I can remote desktop to my car when fixing problems with my car PC or updating software etc.

Craig

what is it excatly you want to do. is to see what others are doing on the other pcs while you are at a base pc. or what you need

I wanted to access certain computers, as I have several at home for different things that I might to access from my car or at other places or whilst abroad for files, etc..., and I am trying to sort it out with a VPN router.

i use a program called real vnc it allows me to see what my daughter is doing on her lap top. and i can also do things on her lap top while im at the server pc im not sure about sharing files ... its maybe worth looking at here

http://www.realvnc.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom