Accessing the Vario Roof ECU

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanShepherd

Car
SLK350 R171 2005
Hi everybody, I hope this question is vaguely in the right place...

After a period of heavy rain last year I opened the car door to the depressing 'Vario roof visit workshop' message. Being an eternal optimist I thought it might be a one-off event as the car had not been used for some time. I disconnected the battery, checked the relevant fuses and then reconnected it hoping that things might sort themselves out but no such luck. I realised that the heating system had stopped working as well. Curses!
I've subsequently taken it to be diagnosed and the Vario roof ECU module is apparently the culprit (my well respected Mercedes garage tells me that this module can also cause a knock-on effect with the heating). The total cost of getting this done is going to be around the £400 mark. They are not able to book it in for at least a month due to their high workload. Before I spend this amount of money it seems unlikely to me that a module has failed simply because the car has got damp? The interior of the car got so wet that mould was growing on the leather seats and the inside of the trunk lid was dripping with water. I've tried to get access to it to see if any of the connectors have have become corroded but something that looks simple on a PDF never turns out that way in practice.
Does anybody have any thoughts on what might be the problem or indeed how to get to the ECU.
Thanks.
Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom