Accident please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam1

Car
E220CDI avantgarde-tansanite blue with sand-cream leather .Honda Civic, Honda Stream SESport( 160bhp
I was driving home today from work and was on slip road on right lane getting onto motorway when the car i was overtaking hits my front left wing. I was positioned correctly and indicated to take slip road.

The driver did not stop and I couldn't find him when I returned back across roundbout to take slip road again.

What do i need to do? Do i just inform insurance company or police as well. I later stopped at next trun off to check damage...which is extensive on side wing and scratches on side.

I hope it aint a write off ...will this affect the value of my car come PX. Any advise will be welcome.

Akmal, Richard anyone help if u can..just had the car 7 days.

Sorry to hear about it.
Report it to the police asap. There's a chance that the other driver reported it as well (well OK, a slim chance!) If so then you're sorted. If not then give the incident number to your insurance company and claim.
:mad:

It depends what the insurance company rate it as;
A is a total write off where the car is a total loss.
B is also a total write off although can be used as spares.
C is where the cost of repair exceeds the value of the vehicle. often the insurance company will allow you to get it repaired at a none approved repairer hence affecting the value.
D is when the vehicle is repaired upto insurance standards. Although it shouldn't, you may find the P/X could be affected or potential private buyers may be put off.

As mentioned above, make sure you visit the local Police station and get it recorded.

I'm presuming that you have full insurance cover, but if you don't , these people were set up solely to deal with the problem of damage or injury caused by uninsured OR UNTRACEABLE drivers.

www.mib.org.uk

I don't think the car will be a right off.

Having looked at the front wing ..there is a dent about the size of a football and scratches across the front door and sides.
Spoils an otherwsie nice car...i think I've just had bad luck recently...

Will this type of accident show up when the dealer does P/X..how will he know I've had an accident say in 12 months time...If the job done is by MB approved repairer. How can I insist that MB approved repairer does tthe job.

Last edited:
Originally posted by adam1

Having looked at the front wing ..there is a bent about the size of a football and scratches across the front door and sides.

Will this type of accident show up when the dealer does P/X..how will he know I've had an accident say in 12 months time...If the job done is by MB approved repairer. How can I insist that MB approved repairer does tthe job.

They will more than likely make you sign a purchace contract saying its never been in an accident.

MB won't touch a repaired car …

Having looked at the front wing ..there is a dent about the size of a football and scratches across the front door and sides.

My Merc was banged up a two years old and repaired by the local stealership. I was told at the time they would not be interested in accepting it as a trade in. Apparently its MB's policy, fair enough. If the work was done through MB it will be on the service record, and if not they ask you to sign a form when you trade it in confirming the vehicle has not been in an accident. Don't be tempted to lie! they check up with the insurance companys databases.

I do remember siging something when I part exchanged my previous car a week ago which i kept for 2-3yrs with no accidents.

Does that mean I will have to come clean? If so how much I'm I expected to lose if its a good job( approx).

This is beginning to hit me hard in the pocket...first the NClaims loss now the pX loss...

Vitto, I was thinking of upgrading to E270/320Cdi in March 04 or in 12 months.

How can I P/x this car. When I spoke to the dealer yesterday we were talking about trading my car in feb 04 for march delivery of new car. He said to me that if u have any minor accidents or scratches and as long as the work has been done professionally it should be OK. I wonder how he knew this ..must be a wierd coincidence. Are U saying that he is not supposed to accept my MB as P/X for a new Merc.

If a sign that it has been involved in an accident and accept the loss in P/x would that not be enough.....surely even people who drives MErcs have accidents and if that means ur barred from buying a new car then why would u buy another MERC again.

Last edited:
Re: MB won't touch a repaired car …

Originally posted by vito113
My Merc was banged up a two years old and repaired by the local stealership. I was told at the time they would not be interested in accepting it as a trade in. Apparently its MB's policy, fair enough. If the work was done through MB it will be on the service record, and if not they ask you to sign a form when you trade it in confirming the vehicle has not been in an accident. Don't be tempted to lie! they check up with the insurance companys databases.

Which is why its a good idea to get it done in another garage.

My 210 was resprayed in a Porsche bodyshop and they did a superb job on it :) Courtesy car wasnt too bad too :)

But then they make u sign that form so they find out if you come clean anyway.

So best avoiding MB workshop and getting work done thro non-MB dealership. So what does one do when u come to trade in.....go and buy a Honda or a Lexus...seems like a good idea now...with all these MB policies.

I don't think the dealers are too bothered as long as the damage is minor, which yours is, and it has been repaired at an MB approved bodyshop.

The dealer wants potential purchasers to be reassured and the MB corrosion warranty still to be in place.

Lots of cars have minor scrapes but are repaired and re-sold.

Dieselman ...that is reassuring.

The damage is about 8 inches dent on lower front passenger wing on the area where it says Avantgarde. Basically the avantgarde sign is dented in. there are major scratches to bodywork near this area and towards the back as the car side crashed me.

Is this minor damage..will Mb dealers take car as trade in if I go to Mb approved bodyshop.

You have my sympathy. I reckon the damage would be regarded as minor. I would recommend that firstly you ascertain the cost of repair (explain that you are paying for the repair, then ask for the cost if the insurance company are meeting the cost); secondly calculate the loss of the NCB and add any excess you have to pay. If the difference between the 2 (cost of you paying for the repair against cost of NCB and excess) is not that great, I would suggest having the car repaired at your own expense at a MB approved body repair shop. If you have a protected NCB, then have the insurance company pay for the repair. While the MB stealers might claim they will not take an accident repaired car in P/X, this is often not the case as thye can sell the car onto the trade. Please let me know how you get on.

Mercedes and repairs

Originally posted by Dieselman
I don't think the dealers are too bothered as long as the damage is minor, which yours is, and it has been repaired at an MB approved bodyshop.

The dealer wants potential purchasers to be reassured and the MB corrosion warranty still to be in place.

Lots of cars have minor scrapes but are repaired and re-sold.

Thats what I thought when I had my Merc repaired by my Stealer. However they told me when I was asking about changing it that it would not be resellable through the Signature scheme as it had bodywork repairs. They said they might be willing to sell it on into the 'trade' for me if I was buying another. I wonder if this is how a lot of perfectly good Mercs get onto the general secondhand dealers forecourts? MB turning their noses up at them for minor issues? I know they won't touch a car without a full MB service history.

I've informed the insurance company and will fax my NCD 1 yr to them b4 they approve repairs. The bodyshop will then contact me to bring car in for estimate and parts ordering. Then when parts arrive they will book my car in and give me a manual Ford Ka ...never drive one.

Can I ask bodyshop to give estimate for repair if i was paying only when insurance company has asked them to contcat me.

If I repair myself i will retain 35% NCB which will be 2 years in march 04. The insurance company route will cost 200 exess and loss of NCB. which will be zero next yr. But some companies give a 35% introductory offer for new business..does this apply to people who made a claim . I thats the case i may retain at least 35% next year in march 04.

Adam

If I repair myself i will retain 35% NCB which will be 2 years in march 04. The insurance company route will cost 200 exess and loss of NCB. which will be zero next yr. But some companies give a 35% introductory offer for new business..does this apply to people who made a claim . I thats the case i may retain at least 35% next year in march 04.
Don't forget that you're legally obliged to declare any accidents, regardless of fault, when you apply for insurance. Even if you didn't cause any accidents they might push the premium up anyway.

Id take it to the bodyshop and get a quote cause what you think looks quite bad may not be that desperate, a large dent and some scratches shouldnt be that difficult, as long as the damage is only to the outer wing. the paint factors i use guarantees the colour match on their paint and ive never had one yet that didnt match perfectly. get it done at a decent dedicated body repair shop and you'll find if done properly it shouldnt show at all, if it had caused some structural damage then thats different.

The dent is the size of 8 inches near the passerger side of the label Avantgarde. The label is curved in. The dent goes as far as the the front lower wing. there is also dent near scratches on the door. The Mb approved bodyshop said it was insurance job but recommened new wing no filler type. the chrome strip has also gained a little small dent. The guy said that was not due to accident.

I was quite Pi** off whe he said that since i had the car a week and had not seen that little pin dent on chrome strip near accident area. I think he thinks I've made that little dent myself by opening front door. That is very unlikely. I told him i need the car side to look like the other side. he nodded but i guess he's not going to replace chrome strip. I think with many people trying to get things fixed that won;t due to accident he thinks I'm trying it on. But I know what was there b4 accident since i've only had it 7 days now.

Can I ask insurance company to repair it at an Mb approved bodyshop of my choice....the company recommend one that i visited they are Ford repairers.

Can I ask insurance company to repair it at an Mb approved bodyshop of my choice....the company recommend one that i visited they are Ford repairers.

You should be able to negotiate this, but the Insurance will send an assessor to agree damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom