Accident - two young drivers in sub £1k cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To keep it all in context. My wife had our family winter jaloppy (at that time a 15 year old Pajero Diesel) broken into at Lakeside Shopping Center. They pushed the drivers door lock in and nicked the radio. Total cost of replacement including a new door skin and lock set came to £317.00. All covered under out Insurance as a "non-fault claim" at Insurance renewal time (three months later). Policy annual premium was increased by £600pa on top of the existing £300pa we were already paying.

We took this to the Ombudsman who ordered the insurers to lower their price but still only to around £500pa.

Last edited:
To keep it all in context. My wife had our family winter jaloppy (at that time a 15 year old Pajero Diesel) broken into at Lakeside Shopping Center. They pushed the drivers door lock in and nicked the radio. Total cost of replacement including a new door skin and lock set came to £317.00. All covered under out Insurance as a "non-fault claim" at Insurance renewal time (three months later). Policy annual premium was increased by £600pa on top of the existing £300pa we were already paying.

We took this to the Ombudsman who ordered the insurers to lower their price but still only to around £500pa.

Sorry to hear that.

It would be interesting to know by how much - if any - your premium would have gone up had you only reported the incident to the insurer but incur the cost yourself while not making a claim....

Awaits a load of posts telling me I am wrong. On two occasions with two separate insurance companies, I have informed them of " damage " to my cars. On both occasions I stated that I was doing so for information purposes and was making no claim or use of their service. Simple!! No. On both occasions the insurance companies bumped my renewals by a considerable margin. When I tried to move to other insurers. No sir you have a claim registers against you!! One call was for a stolen trailer that wasn't insured, but I simply wanted to check it wasn't insured. Both took over a year to have removed.

DO NOT INFORM YOUR INSURER UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR PREMIUM HIKED.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

That's understood, however, what about renewal of insurance when asked about accidents which were fault/non fault or where no claim was made?

That's understood, however, what about renewal of insurance when asked about accidents which were fault/non fault or where no claim was made?

Well, what I am told (and in my experience) any "claim" fault or non-fault is logged on the National Insurance Data Base now. In fact it appears that nearly all of the Insurance Companies are using the same software for call logging etc.

So to answer you question. The chances are that they are all aware of any claims and any call is treated as a claim until you prove otherwise.

When my trailer was stolen. I was advised by the Police to check with my insurer if it was insured (even though I knew it was not). The Police said "as it was hitched to my car at the time of theft and the car was insured) then the trailer maybe insured. I called and asked if it was insured. As expected I was told it was not insured. I then discovered some months later when I went to insure a new car with a different insurer that "I had made a claim" I argued that I had not made any claim. Up it popped. Yes Sir you claimed for a stolen trailer. No I did not claim? Yes you did as you notified your insurer and that gets logged as a claim as we now add that to our theft figures against your postcode.

Last edited:

Lie.

^^^^^ Most ridiculous post I have seen for a long time

Ignoring the damage to "his" car, his own fault, he will learn from this, and sorting out "her" car. If you give her a fair price based on the pre - accident value , seems like she might be happy with this. Then sell the car as "damaged repairable, not recorded " , you will see some of the money back. Net result, she is no worse off (nor should she be), you will of course be out of pocket. He drives his car around with cosmetic damage, pays you back, and learns how to do some body repairs/panel changing.simples;).

A long long time ago, I wrote a car off not involving anyone or anything else.

I spoke to my broker and they said "say nothing and let your policy expire" to get your NCB.

So I did.

On the windscreen - I am with Admiral and after a replacement windscreen a year ago, my renewal was quite a bit higher last November.

I managed to get it down to cheaper than the renewal last year by whinging at them but would otherwise have been more.

SWMBO had a windscreen replaced through insurance on a Citroen C2. They sent autoglass and although she only had to pay £60 excess, they issued an invoice for £499, implying that the insurance co would be paying £499 - £60 = £439 (as if they don't get a discount:rolleyes:)
For years after that when getting insurance quotes we were asked if there were any claims and what was the value of the claim. The £499 claim increased some but not all quotes.
A year or so later that car had TPFT insurance and needed another windscreen. This time we had to pay in full to a local independent - £105:crazy:

Bottom line is this he's had an accident. The result of which will be increased premiums because he is a higher risk!

Suck it up sweety and lump it, solution to not paying higher premiums is don't crash!

^^^^^ Most ridiculous post I have seen for a long time

Why is it the most ridiculous? Can you elaborate with this ridicule? It's what the OP's subject lad is going to do, and lots of people on here are saying, just not as succinctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it the most ridiculous? Can you elaborate with this ridicule? It's what the OP's subject lad is going to do, and lots of people on here are saying, just not as succinctly. .

In fairness I believe he/she is referring to the 'Lie' in the reply above his reply.

No comment, and a fair contribution to the excellent advice from all parties on this matter. I'm sure every response will help anyone in a similar situation (which now includes the windscreen cover conundrum).

That's the beauty of having a wealth of experience and knowledge on forums such as this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, that was my comment! Lots of people have been suggesting you just keep it from the insurance, and sort it yourselves, and then someone asks what do you do on the form where it asks "have you had an accident blah blah" you obviously say no, but I say it in one word and Mr superlative pipes up with a dig at my comment, rather than his differing opinion, which is what forums are all about.

The problem with lying to the insurer is that they may know that you are doing exactly that. Either through their voice software or through previous insurance records with other companies (not yours) who have your reg/car reported to them by a third part without your knowledge.

If this happens? It is entirely possible that you will be declined insurance.

If you have insurance declined you are now in very bad place as that is also recorded for all insurers to see. Insurers do not like t see "declined" they will immediately assume that it is for something that deserved that ranking and will be less than helpful in getting you off that list. ( I believe that there was a recent post from a member on here who had this happen).

Not discussing it? Could (I am guessing) be seen as lying. I am not so sure on that. Please do not take that as my advice.

Last edited:
Fully comp. covers windscreen replacement except the first £50, I did have one repaired once and paid £10, bit of a waste, it didn't last, had a knew one fitted £50, couple of years later another one, it went up to £70, and seems to remain at that, modern screens are expensive so I suppose that's cheap.

Fully comp. covers windscreen replacement except the first £50, I did have one repaired once and paid £10, bit of a waste, it didn't last, had a knew one fitted £50, couple of years later another one, it went up to £70, and seems to remain at that, modern screens are expensive so I suppose that's cheap.

Are you saying that this is the same for every insurance provider in the UK or, just perhaps...your policy? Did you see post#49 above?

Technically. :dk:

Sticking religiously to the book (that the insurance companies authored for their own gain) in this situation will only lead to huge financial loss for everyone involved and huge financial gain for the insurance companies. Lots of people are suggesting sorting this out of the eyes of the insurance. It's a small detail, with thousands of pounds riding on it. Maybe your insurance is £80 a year and you're in a position to follow the rules to the letter, but some aren't. If these two follow the letter of the law, they'll likely be priced off the road, even the girl, and she's done nothing wrong at all.

It's simple, the lad learns a lesson, the lass gets a new car, they both chalk it up as experience and get on with life, everyone's happy.

Last edited:
If you have insurance declined you are now in very bad place as that is also recorded for all insurers to see. Insurers do not like t see "declined" they will immediately assume that it is for something that deserved that ranking and will be less than helpful in getting you off that list. ( I believe that there was a recent post from a member on here who had this happen).

That may have been me. I didn't pay an admin fee for an address change on time and so they cancelled my policy. My new policy, where it asks if I've been declined insurance, I was honest (as you say, they may have known anyway). I'm now paying £50 a month more for exactly the same cover I had previously. Who's won here? I didn't pay an admin fee on time and am now £600 a year worse off. EDIT: Well, I was just about to clock up my 3rd year NCB too, and now I'm back down to 2, so actually in the long run, it'll have cost me thousands.

Technically. :dk:

Sticking religiously to the book (that the insurance companies authored for their own gain) in this situation will only lead to huge financial loss for everyone involved and huge financial gain for the insurance companies. Lots of people are suggesting sorting this out of the eyes of the insurance. It's a small detail, with thousands of pounds riding on it. Maybe your insurance is £80 a year and you're in a position to follow the rules to the letter, but some aren't. If these two follow the letter of the law, they'll likely be priced off the road, even the girl, and she's done nothing wrong at all.

It's simple, the lad learns a lesson, the lass gets a new car, they both chalk it up as experience and get on with life, everyone's happy.

Whichever way you look at it it's an act of fraud, every crook has a woolly back story to justify their actions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom