Accident - two young drivers in sub £1k cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
e:g......I had a PDC sensor that was out, whilst reversing, I bumped my exhaust tips on one side against a small concrete flower pot, which dimpled the tips, I didn't report it, simply had the tips replaced with newer and nicer ones, job sorted, if I had reported it,even with 6 yrs NCD, I would more than likely incur an increased premium the following year and be registered on a database with who knows what consequences.

They would have wanted to know about that as cosmetic enhancements in their view increase the probability of theft.

In essence, an undeclared modification. They want to know everything.

I think in reality we need to exercise common sense regarding what is classified as an event that needs to be reported.

Waking-up one morning to discover a tiny scuff at the corner of the rear bumper from when the car behind you pulled out... or a 'supermarket dent'... or the swirl marks left by the local careless 'hand car wash'... etc... clearly do not need to be reported.

To echo Markjay's comments here and add some more "helpful" clarity. Maybe somebody should write a book about "Urban myths and car insurance"

There is NO requirement under UK law for you to report "every" incident that involves your car to your insurer.

There is common sense law. If you want or expect your insurer to help you? Common sense says, you need to tell them up front what is happening. SO no disclosure will = no responsibility on behalf of your insurer. This may be open to challenge by some quirk in circumstances and High Court Appeal.

The courts have already ruled that you "as a layman"may not know that a second hand car has been modified (several test cases have found in favour of the insured and NOT the insurer). This said, it is not license to modify your car then lie about having done so, to your insurer. Declaring everything you are aware of is the accepted insurance and legal position. Not being aware would be unlikely to include "obvious modifications" like an exhaust that is clearly not standard or a body kit that is clearly not standard. We should all be mature enough to work this out. If it gets to court? You will probably lose. Why? Somebody else is going to argue that it "clearly not standard equipment" and your protestations that you did not know that 26"wheels and an industrial dustbin sticking out of the rear of the car, were not standard will fail.

So in the Op's case (repetition here) he is exposed to risk if (for example) the young lady concerned decides she does indeed have a medical injury claim or any other claim. She is not obligated in any way to assist the OP in his desire to resolve this. Resolution is between them both. Insurance will protect both parties in that resolution and against any future claim that results from it. That is what it is for.

(not directed at the OP) Claiming that you didn't declare it to your insurer as you were concerned about your premiums! Or it is a day with a "y"in it, or you don't like insurance companies will serve you no purpose.

You now know that"any"claim will probably result in a premium uplift. You can (as has been said on here many times) plead your case in writing with your insurer, or with the Insurance Ombudsman Service. Insurers typically do not want you complaining the Ombudsman. They have a financial bond lodged with them and every complaint see's a chunk of that removed by the Ombudsman. So no free lunch for them either.

Life is often not fair. But it is the life that we live and we have to make it fair to us. Blaming the insurance company for your accident will not do this. Going to the Ombudsman with a genuine grievance, may do.

Last edited:
^^^^ The most common sense reply. I am afraid that not reporting an incident where a third party has been involved is an absolute no no. You will be amazed at what information Insurers have access to and can get hold of. God forbid that should a further serious incident occur and Insurers find out about a previous none disclosed accident they are entitled to void the policy ab initio (from the start) leaving you to pick up the tab - and don't forget that vehicle insurance claims can run into millions. Not scare mongering but be sensible and tell them. I am afraid we are in an age of computer says no or yes according to the whims of the underwriters.

Besides, I am happy with my modest premiums and need all those careless drivers to declare their murky past and pay up in order to keep my, low risk, costs down.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ Hah good point. The other aspect of course is that if the policy is voided because of a previous none disclosed accident in the event of another incident you could be prosecuted by the constabulary for having no insurance - I have seen it happen. Please tell them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom