Accident - two young drivers in sub £1k cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it now not an offence if you don't report this to your insurance?....

The OP said he acknowledged that, but was not interested in getting into that part of the debate....

See below:

.....(I don't want to go into the notification debate folks, it's been covered before)...

The OP said he acknowledged that, but was not interested in getting into that part of the debate....

See below:

Ah missed that but that means if he doesn't do this and the people concerned in the incident are related he would be putting their lives at risk and also liable to opening them up to prosecution.

Madness :doh:, I'm out

See below:

Flango is still correct to point out the issue regardless of what the OP chooses to ignore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it now not an offence if you don't report this to your insurance? If either go on to have a further accident in a car that has been structurally repaired and the insurance company were not aware of it I think it invalidates the Insurance which may be a real problem.

Only one way IMHO play it by the book go through the insurance companies, both cars get written off, buy new ones simples
Flango is still correct to point out the issue regardless of what the OP choses to ignore.
Compulsory insurance to cover third party liability is valid, and appropriate to ensure that our society can cope fairly with the inherent risks associated with traffic.
However the bureaucratic self serving monolith that the motor insurance industry has become is obscene.
The OP's "described situation", & your subsequent responses illustrate that pretty well IMO.

+1 or+2 what ever it is now, They should both inform their Insurance Company's, but have them confirm it is for information purposes only and that no action is to be carried out.
Then they are both free to settle the costs between them, and if the S4it does hit the fan and some time later the young lady decides she does have whiplash your son will be covered.

Well the repair will come to more than the car is worth,lets face it 8 hrs labour and £300 of parts and paint will exceed £800 so as as been suggested the lad coughs up £800 and they both get on with life,the young girl will get something from the scrap yard and so comes out slightly in front.

Compulsory insurance to cover third party liability is valid, and appropriate to ensure that our society can cope fairly with the inherent risks associated with traffic.
However the bureaucratic self serving monolith that the motor insurance industry has become is obscene.
The OP's "described situation", & your subsequent responses illustrate that pretty well IMO.

I think that you don't understand my post, I have expressed no opinion on the matter but believe that it was correct to point out the issue.

Flango is still correct to point out the issue regardless of what the OP chooses to ignore.

I think that you don't understand my post, I have expressed no opinion on the matter but believe that it was correct to point out the issue.

I realised that flango may have missed the relevant bit in the original post hence why I pointed it out to him.

But yes this is an Internet forum and there is no real requirement to adhere to any guidelines layed down by OPs... threadstarters don't own them :D

Awaits a load of posts telling me I am wrong. On two occasions with two separate insurance companies, I have informed them of " damage " to my cars. On both occasions I stated that I was doing so for information purposes and was making no claim or use of their service. Simple!! No. On both occasions the insurance companies bumped my renewals by a considerable margin. When I tried to move to other insurers. No sir you have a claim registers against you!! One call was for a stolen trailer that wasn't insured, but I simply wanted to check it wasn't insured. Both took over a year to have removed.

DO NOT INFORM YOUR INSURER UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR PREMIUM HIKED.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

As above...by all means report the first incident you have...you'll not report a second.

Awaits a load of posts telling me I am wrong. On two occasions with two separate insurance companies, I have informed them of " damage " to my cars. On both occasions I stated that I was doing so for information purposes and was making no claim or use of their service. Simple!! No. On both occasions the insurance companies bumped my renewals by a considerable margin. When I tried to move to other insurers. No sir you have a claim registers against you!! One call was for a stolen trailer that wasn't insured, but I simply wanted to check it wasn't insured. Both took over a year to have removed.

DO NOT INFORM YOUR INSURER UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR PREMIUM HIKED.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Even the 'free windscreen replacement' counts against you on renewal. Shows up as an incident, you end up with a loaded premium the following year.

Notification? I'm sure it's not a legal requirement so no chance of prosecution - it may well be a condition of insurance, though, but not one which would invalidate insurance.

Still, leaning towards a cash payout and letting the young lady keep her car once she gets the silly quotes in.

Last edited:
Even the 'free windscreen replacement' counts against you on renewal. Shows up as an incident, you end up with a loaded premium the following year.

Not on my policy I have had the screen changed on every car I've had they always get damaged with high motorway mileage never been loaded on the premium yet.

Cheap policies = poor cover, bigger claw back

You get what you pay for

We are insured with Aviva.

Wife was involved in a no-fault accident with no damage to her car and no claim was made by either party.

Aviva wanted full report of the incident including photos etc, just in case the other party did try and put in a claim at a later date, but they also confirmed that as long as this remaims a no-claim incident, it will not affect renewal premiums (and indeed it did not).

Not sure is this is how Aviva always operate, or perhaps it is because my wife has a fully-protected NCD, or perhaps it will still come back and bite us if we try and change insurer - but at least in this particular case, there were no ill consequences to notifying the insurer.

Not on my policy I have had the screen changed on every car I've had they always get damaged with high motorway mileage never been loaded on the premium yet.

Cheap policies = poor cover, bigger claw back

You get what you pay for

Same here, had Autoglass replacevtwo side windows on wife's car while it was insured with Tesco, the policy paid for the repair, no premium hike.

But - my Aviva policy seems very good and it was cheap compared to others.... not sure that expensive policies alwas provide better cover than cheap ones, it seems like a lot of hit and miss.

Insurance Companies are commercial operations they will always operate in THEIR best interests - beware.

The simple solution to me is to replace the vehicle like for like. Find some similar cars - there are plenty available and give the young lady a choice. Scrap the damaged car.

Interesting, seems to vary but I wouldn't expect consistency from insurance companies.

Can't remember which company it was, but I found out about the windscreen loading after going through finer detail on renewal (wife had had a 'no fault' accident which I had to add to the proposal). I asked the girl, who was up for the challenge, to remove the windscreen 'incident' and see if it would make a difference to the premium - it did!

Good to hear that others had no rise in premium, but it does make you wonder if they would actually have been lower....

To be absolutely clear here. I do not have "cheap" or "dodgy" car insurance on any of my cars. The incidents I refer to were with

1) Royal Sun Alliance - Fully Comprehensive Policy covering both myself and my wife as named drivers, with full European Breakdown & Windscreen Cover - Policy Excess £250 and a full No Claims Bonus.

2) Adrian Flux. All details as above.

I am also fortunate to live " almost" next door (no real relevance in the location) to a senior Insurance Executive now working for the Insurance Service Ombudsman Dept as an advisor. He is also my Golf Partner (very handy). Here is his take on this from approximately 30 minutes ago.

1) Any call to your insurance company will be recorded by them (so you have now started a cost sum rolling, and you cannot turn that off).
2) Insurance Companies will register any call where you have provided your " contact details" as a claim on your policy.
3) Any claim registered is passed on to any other Insurer (this is to stop broker hopping) and fraud. It is also a legal requirement.
4) Not declaring to another insurer that you have a claim is technically a fraud and you "could" be prosecuted.
5) You can ask your insurer to have a claim removed. They may charge you an admin fee for doing so. This admin fee is normally seen as a fair uplift to your premium!
6) There is no legal requirement to report damage to your vehicle to your insurer. However! If, at a later date you wish to try and claim against that damage? There is no legal requirement for insurer to honour that claim. The same would apply to any third party making a claim against you. Your insurer may register a claim against your policy and add charges (as above) whilst they deal with you & the third party. Obviously there are fraud checks at this point to avoid fraudulent third party claims that have no merit.

In summary. As soon as you involve your insurance you are agreeing to them charging you "fees" Asking them at this point to "do nothing" is pointless. They have already "done something" by answering the phone and listening to you (admin fees). They may agree not proceed as a claim! But they have still taken some action and that action has been recorded.

Nearly all insurers now use a "help Desk" system where all calls are recorded and validated (including voice checking software) Triage systems drive the operators responses and questions. This all designed very specifically to reduce fraud and keep the insurers where their share holders wish them to be…. In Profit, Or from the insurers point of view. To drive down costs to you.

What does all this tell us?

If you don't ask you won't get. No call no charge & no insurance involvement, at that point in time

In the specific case of the OP's?

The potential risk is that the third party does have an injury claim in the making (and that could be a very genuine injury claim). They then attempt to claim from their insurers, who in turn will seek to recover costs from your insurers. No fraud here and no court case. But you could still have a premium hike and possible difficulties getting re–insured when your policy is due for renewal.

With regard to "windscreen"scenario. That gave him a laugh. Windscreen costs are factored into to your premium at point of sale. There is no free lunch. So saying it's free etc needs to be viewed with that in mind.

Last edited:
^ most sensible post I've seen in ages

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom