Accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK55 AMG
"this is going to cost me"

At about 8am this morning I fishtailed in some ice and spun off the road, the car rolled a couple of times and I ended up in a field, pointing the same direction I was originally travelling in. I got out with the help of a passer-by, who very helpfully called a recovery company and also the police. The ambulance turned up first, I don't know who called them but they were there quite quickly, they checked me out and said I was ok to go. While I was in the ambulance another car went off a mile down the road so I got out of the ambulance with a standard-issue-blanket (it was -4 degrees! ) and they shot off to the other accident. I gathered some stuff together and waited for the police to arrive. The police were happy that it was just another ice accident (they had just been to the other accident and had seen the exact same situation) so they took down some details and when the tow truck arrived they left. The towing guys were cool and dragged the car out of the field and up the hill I rolled down, they actually drove the car for some of it and were able to get it onto the back of the truck fine. I got a visit from the farmer's wife, who owned both the field and the fence I went through, she left me some details so I can arrange for paying for the fence to be repaired. The towing company drove me back to my local garage/bodyshop and the car is sitting there right now looking very sorry for itself (pictures to follow - I will take pics of the car and also the mess I made of the field and the fence! )

Me: As far as I can tell I am largely ok, I have some bruises and some aches but otherwise fine, I'm a tiny bit dizzy and the shaking is wearing off now, I have a bump on my head and a nice headache brewing. I intend to go to hospital for a check this afternoon just to be sure.

Car: The garage say it's "beyond economical repair". They drove it from the truck into the garage carpark, it's mechanically sound but the bodywork is destroyed, every panel would need replacing unfortunately. I still need to contact the insurance company and also my dad's cousin who is an independent insurance assessor.

The car prolly saved my life, as far as I can tell it took the punishment of the accident for me and I walked away fine, full marks to the engineer who designed that safety cage.

Last night I had a nightmare, my car was smashed up in a nasty accident, I woke with a start in a cold sweat. This morning that dream came true. Next time I dream anything like that I'm gonna stay in bed all day! :(

I will let everyone know what happens!

Very sorry to hear this mate, the main thing is that you are OK.

I hope that there is not too much trouble in getting the car sorted - in terms of a new one or whatever needs to be done.

A nightmare day. :(

Good luck with Insurance and replacement etc, glad you are OK.

I assume no hire car if they are writing it off?:mad:

It's at times like this when you appreciate German engineering M8.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Originally posted by Brian WH
I assume no hire car if they are writing it off?:mad:

It's unlikely I will get a hire car off them. I haven't told them about it yet, I will, just not now, I really can't be bothered to do anything right now I'm slightly annoyed and I think I need another large cup of tea!

Nick :eek: :(

I am really sorry to hear this news :( Like Vik I was totally stunned on reading this thread. As others have said the main thing is that you have escaped relatively unscathed and are okay, phew. Wise words Wheelie.

"the car rolled a couple of times" :( :eek: I think I'd need a week to recover from something like that. Thankfully ours cars are fitted with safety equipment, air-bags etc.

Feel for ya mate. :( D.amn there seems to be a spate of accidents of late :(

S.

Shude
Mate at least you are ok. Like others have said car you can always replace.
This is really a problem as motorist we pay through the nose in petrol taxes etc. Why should we put up with ungritted roads.

Frost, ice and snow are by no means new to Britain along with advanced weather forcasting. Lets hope conditions get better for the future. They are always happy to spend more money on speed cameras as it cuts deaths but is the price we pay noone can afford to send out the gritters.

Regards
Ian

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
"the car rolled a couple of times" :( :eek: I think I'd need a week to recover from something like that.

Yeah, surprising amount of travel, it goes nearly as quickly sideways as forwards! I will take some pics of the "landing site". It took a massive chunk of earth out of the ground, which went all over the windscreen so I couldn't see anything, then turned over a few times. The chaps in the car behind said the car was actually in the air for a second! :eek: .

Really sorry to hear about your smash.

I had a similar one years back on black ice - don't feel annoyed with yourself sometimes there's nothing you can do - you become a passenger. Hindsight isn't much cop at dealing with oversteer!

After you've been to hospital you might want to try a soak in the tub - could help reduce some whiplash effects you might feel in the morning (also give you some time to plan the replacement;) )

Originally posted by rirhill
This is really a problem as motorist we pay through the nose in petrol taxes etc. Why should we put up with ungritted roads.

Frost, ice and snow are by no means new to Britain along with advanced weather forcasting. Lets hope conditions get better for the future. They are always happy to spend more money on speed cameras as it cuts deaths but is the price we pay noone can afford to send out the gritters.

The bl00min gritters went past as we were hauling the car out of the field! They had apparently gone around "last night" sometime but didn't say when. The road was icy all around and people were sliding all over the place, I could hear cars wheels slipping as they drove past me (while watching the truck drag the car) .

Nick

We all love our cars - thats why we are here !

But at the end of the day - its just well contructed metal - and however difficult/expensive - it can be replaced

Just glad to hear that you are basically OK - the fact that you can post this thread at all is a blessing in itself when a car has been rolled and completely totalled !

I know its very early after the accident - but check with the insurance company about salvage - you have far too much money invested in that car to let it be taken away by the insurance company "as is"

Much better to buy the salvage yourself than have a scrap dealer sell you all your own mods back one at a time !

Mark

Sounds like you had a lucky escape Shude!

At least you are ok - as others have said, the car can be replaced....even if it was your pride and joy.

I assume you have fully comp right? If so, dont let the damn insurers try to scam you on what the car is worth.

Without wishing to appear accusatory or anything, how fast were you travelling at the time? Only I would have thought you needed a healthy amount of speed to manage to roll such a heavy car.

Originally posted by Sp!ke
Only I would have thought you needed a healthy amount of speed to manage to roll such a heavy car.

Originally posted by Shude
hill I rolled down

I think you don't need much vehicle speed for a car to roll 'down' a hill or embankment. Just my thoughts.

S.

Shude.

Let me add my sympathies, to all that has already been said. As you can imagine i see a fair amount of this type of thing, at this time of year, but that doesen't mean that we get too hardened to it, especially when its "one of your own", and/or a vehicle you really like is totalled.

Originally posted by GDC200

If the road wasn't gritted until after your crash is there a liability issue? I dont know I just wonder.

With regards to what Greg says above, if you want to PM me i'll see if i can assist in any way in pointing you in the right direction in order to assure yourself, and the insurance company, that the local council did there duty with regards to the gritting last night, and speaking from experience, there have been numerous occasions when they haven't.

On the other hand, if you just want to put it down to experience, and move on from here, i won't be offended. The offer is there.

Chin up, it must get better from here on.:bannana:

If you are going to do it, do it in style.

Sounds like you did. Glad you are OK. Stay at home with you folks, I have seen shock when it sets in.

Likewise to all the comments, could have been any of us from the sound of it!

Let's hope the insurance company pay up quick and you can get searching for a C43AMG ;)

Sympathies re the car, but glad to hear you're more or less unscathed.

Let's hope the insurance company pay up quick and you can get searching for a C43AMG

I had thought of mentioning that my local Milton Keynes stealer has a 98/S C43AMG for £18k + a 00?X CLK55 for £32k........hands off the CLk though, I'm thinking about that for myself!!:D :D

Serious question though (not meaning to open up an old debate) but does anyone with any experience reckon that ESP would have prevented this compared to ASR (which I assume Shude would have had)?? (Appreciate every situation is different, just wondered if anyone with ESP had found it beeter (safer?) than a previous motor with ASR

Originally posted by Big Ed
Serious question though (not meaning to open up an old debate) but does anyone with any experience reckon that ESP would have prevented this compared to ASR (which I assume Shude would have had)?? (Appreciate every situation is different, just wondered if anyone with ESP had found it beeter (safer?) than a previous motor with ASR

The warning light flashed for a second, right before I went off the road. I guess traction control works best when you have all 4 wheels on the ground! It is possible that ESP could have done a better job than ASR. I reckon I would have been ok if I'd fitted the bl00min' winter tyres like I threatened to in December! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom