Accident!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GaryC

Hi!

I had an accident this afternoon. We were approaching the carpark exit when a bloody cyclist came out from the pedestrian way and hit me!!

After waiting for the carpark gate to open, I approached the carpark exit to the road preparing to turn left with no gas given. (Gate and carpark exit is only 4 yards) I've already left some more space to the left side (by turning a bit towards right before turning left) as there are many parked cars on the road. I can't see clearly if there are cars coming on the road so I didn't give any gas, then all of a sudden, a f**king cyclist just came out of the pedestrian way with a speed that could kill a pedestrian! I've already stopped the car when seeing him, but not him! He couldn't stop because he's so bloody fast so he bumped into my left front wheel and his whole body fell forward and hit my bonnet. When he fell to the ground, he nearly teared away my star!! :crazy:

I quickly got off the car with my friend to check if my car's alright. We were ready to fight / take revenge. The cyclist's not hurt. He's actually quite frightened as he knew he's the one who's wrong! He shouldn't cycle on the pedestrian! Apart from the twisted star, my car's okay. And I could actually see the trail from where he fell forward to how he landed on the ground as there's a layer of dust on my bonnet. :D Luckily, he's not wearing jeans or those with buttons sticking out. Or else, the trail will become a line of scratches!

My question is: Are there any laws protecting those cyclists or pedestrians if they damaged our cars? As they don't pay insurance, don't have license plate, we can't make them pay the damaged cost back to us on the scene (or it will become robbery?!) Who'll claim back the cost for us then? If I call the police if it involve damaged car caused BY CYCLISTS OR PEDESTRIANS but no injuries, will the police bother?

Hope your car is okay after cyclists throwing themselves at it :eek:

I recall an acquaintence at university many years ago being taken to court for damages to a car. He was crossing the road while drunk (more like paralytic) and got hit by a car. I think the driver of the car was successful in his claim that the guy was crossing the road irresponsibly. I don't know whether the driver of said car brought the action by himself or whether his insurance company brought it on his behalf.

Maybe a question for Dave to answer?

S.

Last edited:
Originally posted by GaryC
My question is: Are there any laws protecting those cyclists or pedestrians if they damaged our cars? As they don't pay insurance, don't have license plate, we can't make them pay the damaged cost back to us on the scene (or it will become robbery?!) Who'll claim back the cost for us then? If I call the police if it involve damaged car caused BY CYCLISTS OR PEDESTRIANS but no injuries, will the police bother?

I'm told that it's not uncommon for cyclists to have insurance, esp if they cycle to work every day etc. It's only about £50 per year and it's fully comprehensive, so all damages and injuries are taken care of.

Did you get all his details? He's probably not insured but your insurance company will know what to do I suppose.

If there is damage, you can claim against the cyclist if he carries insurance to ride his bike or not. Wether the police are interested or not, if you can get his details you can bring a cliam in your local small claims court.

You could claim against your car insurance if you are fully comp, and indeed your insurance company will probably try to recover costs, if they feel that it is worthwhile. If you don’t complain about paying your excess and loosing your NCB they probably won’t. Call me a cynic but I guess the increase in your premium if you loose your NCB is worth more to them than they could hope to recover from the cyclist.

As another point to note your home contents insurance often covers public liability, so if he has such a policy, and you brought a claim against him, he could potentially claim against that for the damage caused to your car.

Also if you have an car accident and the other driver has no insurance, or the other driver can not be traced, and you are not to blame you could bring a claim under the terms of the Motor Insurers Bureau (Website)

In any case seek legal advice from a reputable firm of solicitors.

Hello,

Many thanks for your's reply!!! Fortunately, the car have not damage, or scratch, but just want to know what happen if it has damage.... :)

I suggest that, New law should be enact, to force all the cyclist to have a number plate and have the third party insurance, also the road tax!!!!:mad: They are also the road user who share the traffic light!

In fact, pesdestrian got killed has been happen before...

Anyway, Many thanks!!

Gary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom