acer aspire one netbook new hdd problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmanuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 AVANTGARDE SE SPORT GONE AND MISSED LANDROVER FREELANDER 2 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
I've a problem,my acer aspire one netbook gave up the ghost,I've fitted a new hdd but as the old hdd was partitioned with the recovery discs and i don't have a copy i'm stuffed.
when i try and load xp or win 7 onto the hdd with an external cd rom i always get an error after about 55% regarding a sata hdd driver .
how can this be done?.

has anyone an acer aspire one who could make me a recovery disc
cheers all

You might find that there is a setting in the bios which allows you to set the hdd to compatibility mode and then allow the OS to install.

Once you have installed windows you can find the appropriate mass storage drivers and then turn off compatibility mode.

On a lot of these Netbooks (F2 or DEL on startup) where you set the things into SETUP mode. It may be called different things on different models but look around in the BIOS for a setting where you can set the OS as INSTALLED and set it to other.

Sounds like SATA drivers needed for your hdd (or maybe the external), stick them on a USB (or even a floppy....) and hit F6 when booting to load them, then cary on as normal.
cheers!

If you have no sucess with any of the above you can contact Acer Customer Service via their website and they will send you the disks (presumably for a small fee).

It's important that you get the correct disks for your model as there are several different Aspire One Netbboks.

Plug your model in here -

Download

to get the SATA drivers if you don't have any of the original disks, could be under SATA or AHCI.

Might be worth getting the network adapter drivers too, then you will be sure to get on the 'net for the rest, they can be loaded after OS is installed.

cheers

I can understand XP throwing its toys out of the pram if trying to install a SATA disk, but 7 should be OK. How about trying a Linux install and see if that works? If you're comfortable ripping out and replacing a hard drive, an alternative OS shouldn't faze you and it would rule out a hardware problem with the new drive (it does happen..). You could reformat and try the windows install again if all is good.

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom