ACLasss W169 noise from front suspsnsion

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by Dharms, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Dharms

Dharms New Member

Car:
    A Class
    I have been hearing creaking, metallic noise from front passenger side. I have checked springs, shocks (no leaks) control arms, and all bushes very thing seems perfect. the noise is only there when going over uneven surface, and speed humps. the left side of the car does feel weak and the steering on that side feels tight. checked the steering rack and its spot on. where could this weird noise be coming from?

2. kingdave

kingdave Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1984 R107 280SL, 2004 S211 E320, 2010 W169 A160 CDi a'gard
    We had a chattering noise coming from the passenger side (no - not Mrs King).
    We found it was suppressed by shoving a leaflet between the windscreen and the dash and when the windscreen was replaced it went away.

Are you sure it's around the suspension and not just a cabin rattle?

3. wongl

wongl Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180CDI x3, C300h
    How old is the car and what mileage it has done?

You might want to check the front drop links - they are not expensive to buy from MB and you might want to change the pair.

If you are sure it is not the drop links, the other vibration point over rough surfaces could be the caliper carrier. Both the drop-links and caliper carrier are known weak points with the previous A-Class W168 and it is worth checking these items on the W169 if all else fails.

4. OP
    OP
    Dharms

Dharms New Member

Car:
    A Class
    The car is 2007 reg done 58000 miles. All the stated points have been checked. Would top mounts be the possible cause?

5. halukbel

halukbel New Member

Car:
    a150
    I had the same problem, i found and solved it.

It is caused by a hard plastic O-ring inside plastic acordeon over shocks. The part you have to change is A 169 323 00 92.

Inside this acordeon there is a stopper made of polyurethane (very weak material) and that hard plastic o ring is mounted on it. In time polyurethane material is breaking into pieces and that ring becomes free in acordeon so especially after speed humps it is hitting the rod of shocks and creating a metallic noise.

I will put the pictures soon.

1 person likes this.
  6. halukbel

halukbel New Member

Car:
    a150