Activated charcoal filter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EdmundIJones

Car
Mercedes C270 CDi
Just reading what should be included in a Service B for my car and it says replace the activated charcoal filter... whats this?

What does it do and are they expensive to have replaced?

Just wondering, I'm actually due a Service A in 5000 miles time but I have an indi friend who is going to give the car a full service as I've just got it and do things like the gearbox oil and so on. Just wondering if for safety sake I shoudl ask him to replace the activated charcoal filter also?

Ed

This is to filter the cabin air.
Unless you drive in very polluted areas, I would just do it at the set intervals

Has it even got one? my wifes c class w203 has only the std pollen filter over the battery under the bonnet.

Lynall

hi
if the w 203 has a digital display on the control panel (n22/7) it has an active carbon filter
in fact it has two of them and a pollen filter. they can get blocked fairly quickly if system used with windows or sunroof open.if you need more info on these systems let me know has i have a training manual.
cheers
Abby

Just reading what should be included in a Service B for my car and it says replace the activated charcoal filter... whats this?

What does it do and are they expensive to have replaced?

Just wondering, I'm actually due a Service A in 5000 miles time but I have an indi friend who is going to give the car a full service as I've just got it and do things like the gearbox oil and so on. Just wondering if for safety sake I shoudl ask him to replace the activated charcoal filter also?

Ed

Activated carbon filter is only present if you have Thermotronic (Luxury) aircon. Identified by digital controls. "Normal" aircon is Thermatic and has analogue controls.

The activated carbon filter removes traffic fumes. If levels rise above a preset limit the system will set recirc automatically.

The activated carbon filter removes traffic fumes. If levels rise above a preset limit the system will set recirc automatically.

Has anyone ever noticed this actually happen in their cars?
I have on occasion noticed some nasty fumes coming in from outside, but never have I seen my re-circ or active filter automatically kick in.
I always have to press the button myself.

I have a W203 C180K MY 2006. I am looking to get a Mahle cabin filter, which are quite reasonably priced.

Mahle's catalogue lists two types though, LAK129/1 for 'Standard', and LKK116/S for 'Automatic Aircon'.

My car has a non-digital aircon (MB option codes 580 and H06), so I am assuming it is 'Thermatic' and will require the 'Standard' and not 'Automatic Aircon' filter? Also, will I need to buy one or two filters?

Many thanks in advance.

OK, got it sorted, in case anyone is interested...

C180 Kompressor W203 MY 2006:
Cabin Filter for Thermatic (non-digital controls), Right-Hand drive: MB A 203 830 10 18, Mahle LAK129/1
Air Filter: MB 271 094 02 04, Mahle LX1277

I saw Opie Oils recommended on another forum so I thought I'd order the filters from them.

My pre-sales email query was answered promptly, and I paid a reasonable price for Austrian-made Mahle filters which arrived within 2 days and free delivery. So well done Opie Oils.

The only thing I would say though, is that after discount to club members, their prices sort of just about match other low-cost online resellers, so we are not talking about eBay prices. But for the same price, I prefer to buy from them so I am one happy customer.

Filters fitted today and al is well :)

PS - No, I did not get a free Opie Oils key chain in return for this post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom