Active Blind Spot Assist and Active Lane Keeping Assist Inoperable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

design4p

Car
Mercedes GLC
Hi,

I have these error messages - Active Blind Spot Assist and Active Lane Keeping Assist Inoperable.

My local garage has checked for fault codes but nothing showed up.

Could this be a radar fault and their fault code finder unable to see the fault.

Any assistance would be most welcome.

Regards John

Posting to test/show it isn't greyed out

How are you getting on with this?
I ask as am experiencing similar intermittent issues.

How are you getting on with this?
I ask as am experiencing similar intermittent issues.
Hi,

Not yet - I have watched a YouTube movie on how to take the rear bumper off and I may attempt this this week. I can just about view the Radar Sensors but these are impossible to remove with the bumper attached. I wonder what a garage would charge for the job. I always get ripped off by garages. A 4 year service at Mercedes Llandudno wanted £1350 for additional work including 2 new tyres and wipers and brake pads and brake discs. The only item that actually needed replacement was the front brake pads - A fraction of the cost. 9 months on the car has passed its MOT. Total liars just wanted to steel money from me. So I am reluctant to go to a dealership. John

Have you scanned the car for fault codes? It might tell you exactly which radar sensor is faulty. Also, I know that blind spot assist uses right and left rear radar sensors, but I was under the impression that lane keep assist uses only optical sensors (cameras)? If so, then you'll need to find what links these two faults together. I.e., are both system of the active type that will manoeuvre the vehicle in the absence of driver's response? If so, than the mechanism that provides the automatic steering wheel correction might be at fault, etc. But as said, you'll need to scan the car for fault codes first.

Last edited:
Have you scanned the car for fault codes? It might tell you exactly which radar sensor is faulty. Also, I know that blind spot assist uses right and left rear radar sensors, but I was under the impression that lane keep assist uses only optical sensors (cameras)? If so, then you'll need to find what links these two faults together. I.e., are both system of the active type that will manoeuvre the vehicle in the absence of driver's response? If so, than the mechanism that provides the automatic steering wheel correction might be at fault, etc. But as said, you'll need to scan the car for fault codes first.
Hi,

Thank you I will get the car scanned.

Regards John

Well, had the car into garage, codes scanned. Pointing to a duff front radar sensor.
But when the sensor taken off, the connector showing bad corrosion. More than 10 pins. Connector cleaned apparently and new sensor fitted.
Fault remained, so they started looking at the loom. Checking within MB it appears that GLCs of a certain vintage may have dodgy looms..
Garage contacted MB, who flatly refused any goodwill gesture, so was quoted 10k and a 6 month wait while they rustle up a new loom. Then at least a week for car strip down and new loom install.
Naturally I was amused by the deadpan delivery of the poor messenger imparting bad news..
So DIY it is with a hair dryer and gaffer tape

Well, had the car into garage, codes scanned. Pointing to a duff front radar sensor.
But when the sensor taken off, the connector showing bad corrosion. More than 10 pins. Connector cleaned apparently and new sensor fitted.
Fault remained, so they started looking at the loom. Checking within MB it appears that GLCs of a certain vintage may have dodgy looms..
Garage contacted MB, who flatly refused any goodwill gesture, so was quoted 10k and a 6 month wait while they rustle up a new loom. Then at least a week for car strip down and new loom install.
Naturally I was amused by the deadpan delivery of the poor messenger imparting bad news..
So DIY it is with a hair dryer and gaffer tape
😱😱😱😱

Solved this - flogged the piece of crap on WBAC and pocketed 6k differential.
Now onto a Beemer..

Solved this - flogged the piece of crap on WBAC and pocketed 6k differential.
Now onto a Beemer..

Poor choice! The chaps at the BMW forums are not nearly half as nice as we are 😇

The cars are decent, though :thumb: :D

Best of Luck!

Hi,

Not yet - I have watched a YouTube movie on how to take the rear bumper off and I may attempt this this week. I can just about view the Radar Sensors but these are impossible to remove with the bumper attached. I wonder what a garage would charge for the job. I always get ripped off by garages. A 4 year service at Mercedes Llandudno wanted £1350 for additional work including 2 new tyres and wipers and brake pads and brake discs. The only item that actually needed replacement was the front brake pads - A fraction of the cost. 9 months on the car has passed its MOT. Total liars just wanted to steel money from me. So I am reluctant to go to a dealership. John
There is a very good Indie at Llandudno Junction and another at Trefnant. Have you tried them?

Poor choice! The chaps at the BMW forums are not nearly half as nice as we are 😇

The cars are decent, though :thumb: :D

Best of Luck!
Onwards and upwards!

I'll post up a picture or two in the defectors to other marques forum.

And yes, having looked at the bimmerforums, not impressed..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom