Active bonnet malfunction , bypass?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Markfryer

Car
A class
Hi all. Quick story. Our aclass got bumped into front end whilst parked. Not a big bump just scratched the bumper. Got that repaired but a few days after ( not straight away ) the active bonnet malfunction came on the dash. I've researched and I'm hoping it's just a fault that needs clearing, the bonnet hasn't popped up as it wasn't a big bump so the things at the side haven't gone off. Obviously it's a mot failure with this light on and I'm struggling to get it off. Is there a way to bypass this at all? Like unclip a cable somewhere? Thanks

Well my one and only brush with a active bonnet car,showed me that even a slight bump on the front can damage the system,the car I had a problem with had a fibre optic cable running along the front and even slight damage can cause the problem you have,with a heavy front end crash the cable is cut and the bonnet hinges pop up,not sure just how much help that is to the injured person other than to send them over the car and into the road,but anyway,you need to inspect that fibre optic cable for damage,the bad news is they are expensive to replace,a new one for my car was £1200 plus vat,I was lucky and got a used one on ebay.

Just looked on ebay and a W176 A class cable is for sale at £54 ,but be careful it has to be the right part number as on your old one when you investigate the cause of your problem.

The system works with two sensors behind the front bumper connected by a thin tube. Any squish on the tube is noticed by the sensors and the back edge of the bonnet is released to pop up, preventing a pedestrian from injury, supposedly. If your bonnet hasn’t jumped up it’s almost certainly the tube has been damaged. Very common, even with a slight bump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom