Active park assist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonerp

Car
E250 amg convertible
I'm confused! According to the manual active park assist seems to help with parking. There's a P that pops up on the dash but how exactly does it work as all I get is dots light up on the front and rear bars (which are impossible to see in daylight) and nothing else.
It indicates press ok and it'll park itself?!
A207 2014 btw. Thanks

Just press ok. You just control the pedals.

If you interfere with the steering wheel it cancels it.

The P is for the Parktronic, the sensors front and rear. You need to wait for the little arrow to appear next to the P. If parking on the left then no indicator is required but it is needed if parking on the right. You must drive fully past the space so the system can measure it, if it's ok then the arrow will appear.

Put the car into reverse BEFORE pressing OK. The car will ask if you want to activate park assist, press OK and then control the speed with brake etc, the car will do all the steering. It may ask you to select drive or reverse several times depending on how tight the space is.

It will also get you out of the space provided that you have A - Used park assist to enter the space and B - not moved the vehicle at all including moving the steering wheel.

Daz

The P is for the Parktronic, the sensors front and rear. You need to wait for the little arrow to appear next to the P. If parking on the left then no indicator is required but it is needed if parking on the right. You must drive fully past the space so the system can measure it, if it's ok then the arrow will appear.

Put the car into reverse BEFORE pressing OK. The car will ask if you want to activate park assist, press OK and then control the speed with brake etc, the car will do all the steering. It may ask you to select drive or reverse several times depending on how tight the space is.

It will also get you out of the space provided that you have A - Used park assist to enter the space and B - not moved the vehicle at all including moving the steering wheel.

Daz

The P is also shown for the Parking Guidance feature which does not steer for you, it just tells you what to do on the speedo console. SO it depends which system you have.

This described in the Parking Guidance section here

Interactive Owner's Manual [In depth | Driving and parking | Driving systems]

The P is for parktronic, when you drop below a certain speed the P will show regardless of any parking spaces available, the arrow is for park assist and you will still get the arrow whichever system you have, the OP said they have Active Park Assist which does the steering, but as you said the earlier system just tells you how far to turn the wheel. On a 2014 car it will be Active assist.

How many people actually use/trust it?

I use it whenever I have to reverse park my car - my seating position is very low and I cannot see the corners of the car. We've had it in our MBs since 2009 and find it useful. There will be some macho types that say their parking is so great they do not need or use it.

Suggest you read the manual to understand the system properly and as suggested earlier establish what you have.

Will have to try this...on my 2010 E class w212, I think that it will the park assist, where you steer by directions on the dash. Will try it out in the field first, I think, until I get the hang of it....:D:D:D

Will have to try this...on my 2010 E class w212, I think that it will the park assist, where you steer by directions on the dash. Will try it out in the field first, I think, until I get the hang of it....:D:D:D

MB are strange - My wife's 2009 A class had the full monty but my 2012 SLK only had the guidance ( - dealer demo in OZ - they will spec all the features into a demo car). The guidance also worked well but you have to trust the machine.

My wife had to park near a construction site while being observed by a bunch of workers, they applauded her for her brilliant parking not knowing that the car had parked itself (2010 before park assist was common).

I have the passive Parking Assist, and have tried it a few times, my experience is that it works well but the parking process takes much longer than when parking manually, so I rarely use it.

I drove a BNW with active parking last year and this seems to be much more efficient, if I had the active version on the Merc I would have probably used it more.

Active Park Assist works 90% of the time for me, and usually does a good job of parking the car. The system is fussy though, as it will not give you a prompt for Active Park Assist if it thinks the space is too short for it to comfortably park the car (even though you can get into the space by parking the car yourself) and also often won't give you a prompt if you are trying to parallel park on a narrow road and the system doesn't think there is enough road space for the car to turn fully. I have had the odd occasion where the system misjudges the curb and parks well away from the curb, and I have also had situations where the system bumps the wheels into the curb as well - it isn't perfect.

My car has the first get Active Park Assist system, so my experience may not be the same as yours if you have a second gen system that can also reverse into spaces in a car park.

I have active park assist and have tried it a couple of times but obviously hadn't follow the correct activation sequence. Did it the other day following correct procedure and it worked ok, a little disconcerting though but I'll persevere as I have to show SWMBO how to use it (she can't parallel park for love nor money).

IMHO this feature is quite reliable. It does not always kick in (recognises the parking space) and also it is slower than an experienced driver (especially to activate it), but it is very accurate. I have to say it is better then most driver then you need to maintain the critical 4-5 inches from the curbs to protect your rims (unless you have the 360 deg camera fitted what I do not have...).

An old friend of mine (Sadly no longer with us) Took his Mercedes back to the dealer after a few weeks complaining about this "P" that keeps coming up on the Dash. The dealer promptly asked a Technician to demonstrate what it did, he left the dealer feeling more than a little embarrassed!

Ha I think I would but then again I've still not managed to get it to park!

The usage supposed to be:
1. Slow down (I think under 15 mph or so) -> P sign should come up
2. Allow the car to find a place (P> or <P should show up)
3. Stop the car and put it into reverse (Park assist prompt to come up)
4. Push OK (as requested) and follow the instructions (let the card turn the wheel, change D to R when it is requested)

Scanning for parking spaces to the right comes up only when you have the right indicator on.

In theory, it should park your car out as well. This feature does not kick in for me usually (get it once out of twenty maybe...)

Reactions: BMF
I’ve used my active park assist once so far as it doesn’t like the gaps that I quite happily get in and out of:(

How many people actually use/trust it?

Me - We have had it in our cars since before 2010 and never had a problem. I don't think I could reverse park my SL without it (seating position is low and impossible to see the corners).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom