active sub, question,, ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

COUPE FREAK

Car
220CE COUPE,,
i know next to nothing about ice, so be gentle with me, bought a clarion srv-303 active sub,, the small one about a foot square and 2" thick, to fit under the front seat, want to use the RCA outputs on the kenwood head unit to go to the sub but the rear parcle shelf speakers are plugged into them, is there some kind of splitter plug i can buy to feed the rear speakers and the sub,? or am i on the wrong track alltogether, :confused:

Last edited:
Have you got input & output on either of your amps? or two sets of RCA's on the head unit? If you have input and output on either amps you can bridge it.
What Amp is running the shelf speakers?

Last edited:
i have'nt any amp's, just the kenwood head unit and the active sub i've not fitted yet, only one set of rca output's on head unit that go to rear parcle shelf speakers,

Ok, so can you not run the shelf speakers off the head unit speaker outputs, and use the rca for the sub?
I dont understand how you are running speakers off rca outputs without an amp!
What headunit is it?

Not sure what RCA stands for but an RCA lead is the same as, phono leads on home equipment...:)
Looking at the specs of your head unit, you shouldn't have a problem as you have front and rear preouts. It should't matter if you plug your sub in the front preout.
Hope this helps.

KRC-594 main features:

4 x 47 Watts max power
Full logic auto-reverse, metal playback cassette deck
Dolby B noise reduction system
Tape track search
RDS (radio data system) & EON (extended other networks) tuner
Radio text information display
System Q sound control system
Source tone memory
Front and rear RCA preouts
2 way telephone mute
Flip down removable front panel with case / face removed LED warning
Code anti-theft protection
Clock display
Vehicle remote option connects to factory-fitted remote controls on some vehicles
White LED display with dimmer, switchable red or green key illumination
Optional CD changer and/or remote control can be added
DAB reception with additional decoder box
CD text display (with compatible CD changer)
Complete with full fitting and operating guide

RCA Radio Corporation of America

in the kenwood manual it say's the RCA output's are "rear left-white", "rear right-red",, not front & rear, and on the clarion active sub it say's "left & right",also,

think i'm starting to get my head round it,,lol,

RCA lead's alway's go to an amplifier,

found this under the passenger's side carpet, KENWOOD KAC-424 POWER AMPLIFIER, (is it standard fitment.?)

why is it feeding the rear speaker's,?

found the rear left & right speaker wires out of the head unit,

so if i remove the 424 amp, run 4 wires from the pair of rear speakers to the head unit, then use the left & right RCA lead's to feed the sub, that should be it,?

Attachments

• kac-424.JPG
    kac-424.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 65
well wired it all up, but all the sub does is buzz away no matter what setting on the sub or what volume on the head unit, even with the volume turned down to nothing,, looks like the ebay seller i bought it off is in for a bit of questioning,, :devil:

bummer,, been down to the local clarion dealers,, he said the amp's goosed,, no wonder it was buzzing away,, i'm in for a right mess on trying to get my money back now through ebay,, mind you it's the first bum deal i've had through ebay, 100's of easy transactions, though,, suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later,, :devil: :devil:

Bugger :( , I have been had a couple of times :mad: , good luck with getting your money back you could be lucky.
But it sounds like you got the your head round it now...;)

COUPE FREAK said:
in the kenwood manual it say's the RCA output's are "rear left-white", "rear right-red",, not front & rear, and on the clarion active sub it say's "left & right",also,

think i'm starting to get my head round it,,lol,

RCA lead's alway's go to an amplifier,

found this under the passenger's side carpet, KENWOOD KAC-424 POWER AMPLIFIER, (is it standard fitment.?)

why is it feeding the rear speaker's,?

found the rear left & right speaker wires out of the head unit,

so if i remove the 424 amp, run 4 wires from the pair of rear speakers to the head unit, then use the left & right RCA lead's to feed the sub, that should be it,?

Yes RCAs always run amps, but when you get the Clarion sorted you should still be able to use that Kenwood Amp, because you have 2 sets of RCAs?

Oh and I expect the amp is there as the headunit may not be powerfull enough for the speakers, that could also cause buzzing, if speakers are under powerd. Can do as much damage as putting to much power though speakers.

Last edited:
so one RCA output from the head can supply an amp that's feeding say the rear pair of speaker's, and the other RCA output from the head unit can supply an amp that's feeding say the front speaker's,, or a sub,

if that's the case, why are the marking's on the head unit, small amp, and the sub, L & R,, meaning (to me anyway) you need both RCA's to feed one amp that's supplying a left speaker and a right speaker, or one sub,

or is it that one RCA output can supply one amp with the necessary signal for it to work,,

there's no buzzing from either the front or rear speaker's wired to the head unit,, with or without the small kenwood amp, the sound is fine,, it was just the clarion sub that was really buzzing loudly,,

Last edited:
COUPE FREAK said:
so one RCA output from the head can supply an amp that's feeding say the rear pair of speaker's, and the other RCA output from the head unit can supply an amp that's feeding say the front speaker's,, or a sub,

if that's the case, why are the marking's on the head unit, small amp, and the sub, L & R,, meaning (to me anyway) you need both RCA's to feed one amp that's supplying a left speaker and a right speaker, or one sub,

or is it that one RCA output can supply one amp with the necessary signal for it to work,,

there's no buzzing from either the front or rear speaker's wired to the head unit,, with or without the small kenwood amp, the sound is fine,, it was just the clarion sub that was really buzzing loudly,,

Then I would just use the headunit for the speakers if it sounds ok, then use the RCA for the sub. One RCA is two plugs, I have front, rear and SUB out on my head unit, so I just the sub out for mine but I don't think it matters which RCA you use.
I am not very good at explaining things but hopefully that is of some help...:)
Cheers

you're explaining it fine,,

one RCA is the L & R, something else i've learnt,

you've 3 RCA sockets on you're head unit,, thats handy,,

yes, thats what i'll do, f & r speakers fed from the head unit and when i buy a new active sub i'll feed it using the two RCA outputs,,

thanks for all your help ady,, :D

No problem...:) glad I could help someone else for a change..:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom