Active-X

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
Hello everyone.

I recently got myself a camera phone. No big deal to you experts I know but its space age stuff to me :eek: . Anyways, its a NEC e616V on 3G and it comes with a data transfer CD software disc and USB cable. When I try to load the disc I get a prompt telling me to pay attention to the fact that the disc contains a file called 'Active-X' and with that file other parties can access parts of my computer :eek: .

I understand what it is saying and that it tells me that I can disable this feature by going into Tools, Security, Allow 'Active-X' from disc but I'm neither sure nor convinced of what to do!. I've been back to Argos and also the 3G shop in Bradford but they dont seen to understand my concern.

Anybody out there heard about this one?

Thanks.

Portzy

my guess is that they have put a browser on the CD to load the camera software. whereas Windoze will happily let you download harmless activex content from the web (most flash sites will have some actve x content) it gets really upset when you try and run it from one of your local discs and throws up all sorts of security warnings. As the disc has come from a trusted source (your camera manufacturer) there is little or no need to worry and you should just let windows load what it wants to

well, in my opinion anyway

Andy

Allow the Active-x content, as already pointed out, you will be severly hampered on the net anyway without it.

Any decent anti-virus proggie will disallow any naughtiness caused by allowing it in the future.

Messa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom