Adaptive Suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich

Car
2001 E55 AMG Aprilia SL1000 Honda VTX1800C
Just bought the E55 AMG tiptronic model and after 500 miles got around to reading the manual, like you do. Found I had adaptive suspension. Can't honestly see the point of the sports setting except on a race track but the comfort setting is perfect for motorways, fast roundabouts, B roads, everything. Can anyone tell me how adaptive suspension works, why AMG chose the settings they did and how adaptive compares with the standard non-adaptive system in road use? Too many questions!

- Rich

I always wondered too. As it's not ABC or AirMatic, but some other kind of system that was an option on the W210 E and standard I think on the E55, but havn't been able to find much info on it. Hopefuly someone can explain! :)

Extract from E55AMG ad.

The Airmatic DC semiactive suspension is also modified for high-performance duty with lower air-volume spring struts, revised shock settings, a 10-mm-lower ride height and stiffer anti-roll bars. Settings for the electronic suspension control, including ESP, have also been modified for more demanding driving. The result is less body roll, quicker steering response and greater high-speed stability than the already excellent E500, with no detrimental effect on ride quality.

More Info

In order to ensure that the engine power at their disposal is transferred to the road with maximum effectiveness, the Mercedes-AMG engineers have redesigned the chassis and braking system. The AIRMATIC DC semi-active air suspension system with ADS II allows the driver to select a more relaxed or extremely dynamic setting for their journey. The damping and springs use state-of-the-art micro-electronics to adapt instantaneously to the driving situation in hand. To this end, data is processed relating to the steering and yaw angle of the body, longitudinal and transverse acceleration, vehicle level and driving style. The desired suspension setting can also be selected manually through three stages, thus satisfying the most diverse customer preferences.

New AMG spring struts with lower air volume ensure faster responses, giving the car’s handling a sportier edge, whilst changes made to the settings of the AMG shock absorbers in all three stages have resulted in reduced body movement. The automatic level control system ensures identical spring travel all-round, even when the car is fully laden. Out on the road, the body is lowered by 15 millimetres once the driver accelerates past 140 km/h, in order to reduce the aerodynamic drag. The car rises back to its normal level when it drops back below 70 km/h. The E 55 AMG body is already set ten millimetres lower, a modification which comes with the AMG badge. Thanks to stronger stabilisers with 50-percent greater torsional rigidity, the roll angle of the E 55 AMG is only very slight when cornering at speed. The settings of the electronic suspension control system, including ESP®, have been modified in response to the car’s sportier driving dynamics.

Cheers Brian, but I think Rich's request is for the W210 E, not the new W211 E like yours. I know they had an 'adaptive' system on the W210 E and could never find any info on it.

Ill dig the manual out for our W210 and let you know about ADS

The principal for the 210 is the same as on the 211.

On both they use the air-matic suspension, just with different 'pre-sets' There is slightly more to it than that, but thats the basics.

Brian Wh's extracts are pretty good... ;)

Well, I asked, and now I know!

Brian's W211 3-way system sounds more advanced than my W210 2-way system. I couldn't tell if the W210 ride height is speed sensitive and the handbook tells me nothing except the suspension adapts to your driving style independently of the chosen settings (sport/comfort). Bit like the gearbox then, and maybe runs off the same sensors?

How do I get the AMG blurb for this model. I know the showrooms chuck out everything on the outgoing model immediately the new one's announced...

Thanks for all the info - I know where to bring my tech queries now :)

- Rich

Hi Rich

Try a run along a long winding and perhaps sligtly undulating country road as fast as conditions allow with ths ADS off ie normal mode. Then do it again with it on - you will definately notice how much tighter the car feels - a bit crashier as the suspension is firmed up but its great fun! That model is as steady as a rock and feel thru the steering is just right. I've got the pre tiptronic model & just love it. What a car! enjoy! :D

wouldn't mind a dabble in the new W211 one though! :bannana:

Fuzzer, if that's the owners manual it doesn't say much on the subject but I'd like to see AMG's blurb on the W210.

Brian, where did you get that info from? (btw hope you used copy, not kbd for all that txt!)

Steve, it's a washboard ride on sports setting. I don't ever go that fast down the road ('cept on a motorbike).

Of the W211 AMG "Out on the road, the body is lowered by 15 millimetres once the driver accelerates past 140 km/h, in order to reduce the aerodynamic drag" Does the W210 also do this?

- Rich

Originally posted by Rich
Brian, where did you get that info from? (btw hope you used copy, not kbd for all that txt!)
- Rich

Try searching with Google.co.uk.:cool:

Use Airmatic suspension. or W202/AMG airmatic suspension:bannana: :bannana:

140 had the first version of the 'adaptive' suspension back in 1992 :p

ADS - the final word?

Found this description of the S-Class adaptive suspension at MBSpy site. A positive silver-pointed-star mine of info:

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/techexpr.htm

ADS
Adaptive Damping System
The standard-specification AIRMATIC suspension system of the S-Class combines pneumatic suspension with an Adaptive Damping System (ADS), which adjusts the front and rear shock absorber forces to the current payload, the condition of the road surface and driving style. A steering angle sensor, three acceleration sensors on the car body, the ABS speed sensor and the brake pedal sensor constantly measure the lateral and longitudinal acceleration of the body. From this data, the ADS control unit calculates the optimal damper setting for each individual wheel and transmits the relevant signals with split-second speed to special valves on the gas-pressure shock absorbers. These valves are able to switch between four different damping characteristics. Using a selector on the instrument panel, the driver can also switch between a standard mode or a tauter, more sporty mode. This adjusts the thresholds at which the different damping characteristics are activated. In sporty mode, the firmest characteristic is selected earlier, while in comfort mode the softest characteristic remains activated for longer.

- Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom