Adblue, MB Gle 250d

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MSG2004

Car
GLE, AMG Line
Hi
Is this changed at every B service and if so, what is the additional cost?

Or, can I just top it up
as the car has a separate Adblue filler cap.

The cars don just shy of 10k miles and I will be driving around 3ks a year as now
retired.

Thanks

ps - I'm aware the adblue price is sperate on tope of the 6545 pounds B service.

IIRC you don’t need to change it, just keep it topped up. It’s just urea injection into the exhaust system.

Last edited:
Thanks, just to clarify, the old one does not need to be taken out? I have the seprate filler neck, so just top it up when the light on the dash displays?
thanks

Thanks, just to clarify, the old one does not need to be taken out? I have the seprate filler neck, so just top it up when the light on the dash displays?
thanks

Correct, just top up when needed.

Thanks

As above just top it up.

Had to do this on the missus’ RR at the weekend.

Not sure how many miles a tank will last as mine was topped up at service but the RR has only done just over 2k miles.

I believe adblue in the Mercedes is supposed to last approx. 10k miles and will be checked and topped up at every service.

Now you have retired watch out for DPF issues as I presume you wont be doing many motorway miles.

I've certainly seen some suggestions that the AdBlue tank is supposed to be emptied and refilled every now and then. The post I saw had Mercedes instructions and an extractor pump to empty the tank.

I guess it's to do with AdBlue crystalising - but in "normal" (usual 12K or so miles per year) I'm baffled by why this would be necessary as the AdBlue is being used and replaced. But it does makes sense for a low mileage user as I believe AdBlue loses its effectiveness as it ages

Thanks all.

Rory, this is what I read and saw hence my query, ie go in prepared as to me 645 quid is a lot for a service on a car 2 yrs old with 10k on the clock.

The majority of posts I read on google did not talk about removing the old Adblue but I think I read about it on a MB site, but now not a 100% certain

Thanks all.

Ad blue requires topping up at routine service intervals or earlier if the warning comes on but it also requires to be cleaned out after a specified number of years as the fluid does age.

A word of caution if topping up yourself do not do as my MB “Service Technician” did, spilling the fluid all over the inside of the boot.
This stuff makes a horrible mess as it chrystalises.

A word of caution if topping up yourself do not do as my MB “Service Technician” did, spilling the fluid all over the inside of the boot.
This stuff makes a horrible mess as it chrystalises.
Oops!

Think I may have done the same when filling the Rangey.

Fortunately the filler is under the bonnet so she’ll never notice.

Those 10 litre containers are a bit unwieldy.

Mercedes supply the 10litre containers with a removable flexible spout so no problems adding adblue to my ML.

Hi Update

Cars done a few miles over 10.5k.
GLE 250d bought April 2016.

2017 - A service cost 315 quid at 6:7k
2018 - B service today cost 645.25p - wanted another 55 approx quid to top up Adblue, I said no thanks.

The Adblue inlet is next to the fuel cap so should be easy fill for about 15 - 20 quid approx.

As I intend to keep the car, i will buy the service plan after next years service so it will cover two B services inc ATF.

About taking out the old stuff, I guess MB will make that up along the line like brake fluid changes every two years and possibly ask 200 quid for it.

I can't believe how expensive is AdBlue in UK. If you travel through Germany or France, you can top up at petrol station and it's really cheap.

55 quid for the dealer to top it up is ridiculous.

Does that mean if the OP is caught short they can just wee into the tank?? Just Curious..:D:D:D
One or two truck drivers have tried that once run out. It worked but it does erm gum up the system a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom