Adblue, MB Gle 250d

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can't believe how expensive is AdBlue in UK. If you travel through Germany or France, you can top up at petrol station and it's really cheap.

It's available in some here - mainly motorway service areas - I think it's around 65p/litre.

For my wife's VW Tiguan I buy 5 litre containers of the VW branded stuff from TPS (VW's Trade Parts Centre) for around a fiver and just drop that into the tank every now and then. It's a right faff in her car as the filler is under the boot floor so that and the spare wheel have to be removed. Once done the filling tube (£7 from TPS - I think the fittings are standard on all cars) needs to be washed out.

It's probably a 15-20 min job all in. Thankfully only needed every 5 months or so at her rate of use.

I did 9K miles in Audi and topped up AdBlue just out of curiosity, to see how much was used. It was only a few litres and I paid 3.40 euro or similar. So I don't think have to worry about it with 17l AdBlue tank.

What year did MB introduce AdBlue to their diesels? Will my MY2012 W204 350 CDI need it?

Perhaps I should just go outside and check under the filler cap... :oops:

I think if your cars a Bluetec model then its got adblue.

I did 9K miles in Audi and topped up AdBlue just out of curiosity, to see how much was used. It was only a few litres and I paid 3.40 euro or similar. So I don't think have to worry about it with 17l AdBlue tank.

That's not the 'proper' rate of use. It varies across models, type of use etc, but something like 500 miles per litre is typical. One of the emission scandal things Audi did was to disable AdBlue during cruising - hence they could go between services without needing a top-up. That should have been corrected by software update.

I know from our Tiguan many buyers were told they wouldn't need topping between services. In fact the range is around 5K miles, and even that is better than VW say.

There's a VW chart here - AdBlue | Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) | Volkswagen UK - I don't see a similar one for Audi as as VAG share much technology it's going to be the same.

There's recall on software fix for my car, it will probably be done during service which falls in next 10K miles. I do a lot of cruising. My neighbour's A6 of the same age needs top up every 5-6K miles, I think he does mostly city driving.

From the chart, the closest to A8 would be Touareg as they share the same engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom