Adblue & Nox sensor issues - Mercedes e220d Bluetec coupe 2015 - W207

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matias

Car
Merceded e220d coupe
Hi guys,

During the last 2 months i am struggling with issues with my Mercedes e220d - year:2015.
The issue initially started with the engine yellow lamp, which after inspection ended up to be an issue with the back Nox sensor. I ordered a new Nox sensor and waiting to arrive.
In the meantime, an Adblue message appeared which showed up that my Adblue is almost empty and needs to be refilled. My mechanical engineer added 10L adblue and the message disappeared but but after 2-3 days a new message appeared that "AdBlue: Your engine will not start in 800km".
So then, I bought 20 more litres of Adblue and i filled the tank to full. The message is not disappeared.

Now, when the engineer connect it to diagnostic he gets:

P13DF09: The Adblue(R) system has a malfunction. There is a component fault
P229F09: NOx sensor 2 (cyclinder bank 1), has a malfunction. There is a component fault

Even if he deletes the P13DF09: The Adblue(R) system has a malfunction. There is a component fault then the "AdBlue: Your engine will not start in 800km" disappears for a while and come back after a while.

My question now is:

1. Is there a chance that the Adblue message to not be deleted properly that's why it appeared again?
2. Is there a chance that the Adblue message appeared because of the faulty nox sensor?
3. Nox sensor is arriving soon, but i am wondering if the issue resolved or if i will have to replace also other parts from Adblue system.

What is your opinion? Anyone, faced similar problems ?

As the problem firstly showed itself with the NOx sensor, I would start with that and go from there. With a 2015 car, though, if these are the original sensors, you may find that you need to replace both due to various updates that have been applied over the years. It would probably be best if you had had a check done by somebody who has STAR to save money in the long-run.

Ernie

Hi,
I had the exactly the same scenario, regarding warning lights Adblue topping up message then the Adblue message with failling to start in xxx miles.
Diagnosed, one NOX sensor, MB did mine under warranty and replaced both NOX Sensors, the Adblue system required no work at all and is almost certainly because of the failure of the NOX Sensor.

I have 2015 E220 Bluetec Cabriolet and just had the Nox sensors replaced under recall.
Call Mercedes Benz Customer Service to get in booked it so you do not need to pay.

CORRECTION: Turns out the recall was not for Nox sensor replacement but rather for the software update that they hope fixes the problem occurring to begin with.
My wifes EML came back on just 20 miles after having been in for this "recall"........now back on STAR it is a Nox sensor failure.
Given the fact that the Nox sensors they have been fitting in replacement have been redesigned with a different part number is in itself an admission of manufacturer fault - right?
We are now arguing this with MB as the dealership will not replace the Nox sensor FOC.......

CORRECTION: Turns out the recall was not for Nox sensor replacement but rather for the software update that they hope fixes the problem occurring to begin with.
My wifes EML came back on just 20 miles after having been in for this "recall"........now back on STAR it is a Nox sensor failure.
Given the fact that the Nox sensors they have been fitting in replacement have been redesigned with a different part number is in itself an admission of manufacturer fault - right?
We are now arguing this with MB as the dealership will not replace the Nox sensor FOC.......
Did you get anywhere with the sensors please? Just having the same problem now.

Hi guys,

Just an update on this. If you go in the official mercedes website you will find out that there is a recall for this car for the software upgrade on diesel engines. It is free to proceed with this solution as mercedes is covering all the expenses, so i proceed with the upgrade and it fixed both the adblue issue and the nox sensor warning. So everything looks to work properly so far.

P.S. Just to clarify, i did not replace the nox sensors not the ad blue pumps, i just proceed with the software upgrade which fixed all issues.

Hi guys,

Just an update on this. If you go in the official mercedes website you will find out that there is a recall for this car for the software upgrade on diesel engines. It is free to proceed with this solution as mercedes is covering all the expenses, so i proceed with the upgrade and it fixed both the adblue issue and the nox sensor warning. So everything looks to work properly so far.

P.S. Just to clarify, i did not replace the nox sensors not the ad blue pumps, i just proceed with the software upgrade which fixed all issues.
Keep us posted in the coming weeks on how things are keeping or if theres more issues, its nice to know how things turn out, thanks

Hi, i just got invoice sent by Mercedes. What a joke.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 15.39.17.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 15.39.17.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 116
Jesus, well i haven't had any update letter and i don't think mine has been updated, hopefully nothing will go wrong but if it does i will be looking to see if i have an upgrade owing.

Hi guys,

During the last 2 months i am struggling with issues with my Mercedes e220d - year:2015.
The issue initially started with the engine yellow lamp, which after inspection ended up to be an issue with the back Nox sensor. I ordered a new Nox sensor and waiting to arrive.
In the meantime, an Adblue message appeared which showed up that my Adblue is almost empty and needs to be refilled. My mechanical engineer added 10L adblue and the message disappeared but but after 2-3 days a new message appeared that "AdBlue: Your engine will not start in 800km".
So then, I bought 20 more litres of Adblue and i filled the tank to full. The message is not disappeared.

P229F09: NOx sensor 2 (cyclinder bank 1), has a malfunction. There is a component fault

Even if he deletes the P13DF09: The Adblue(R) system has a malfunction. There is a component fault then the "AdBlue: Your engine will not start in 800km" disappears for a while and come back after a while.

My question now is:

1. Is there a chance that the Adblue message to not be deleted properly that's why it appeared again?
2. Is there a chance that the Adblue message appeared because of the faulty nox sensor?
3. Nox sensor is arriving soon, but i am wondering if the issue resolved or if i will have to replace also other parts from Adblue system.

I had both my Nox sensors fail on my 2015 220d fitted aftermarket ones from xenons4u no problems since

Hi guys,

My question now is:

I had same problem only that I had a full tank and it was not reading full. EML was on. I cleared the light but it came on again. P203b code stated it was an adblue sensor fault. One new adblue tank later, no faults.

Recently bought a 2012 Merc ML.

Can’t get the EML to go off even after filling up with AdBlue

Got message warning lights Adblue topping up message then the Adblue message with failing to start in xxx miles.

I tried resetting the EML message after checking with You Tube but the procedure they advocated did not work.

Any ideas how to reset the EML?

You can only reset the light when the problem causing it has been sorted. Need to pull the codes and find the problem.

Bought a 62 Plate Merc ML at the beginning of May. A week ago I got message something like "1,700 miles before AdBlue runs out". I filled AdBlue to the brim. EML light still on. Tried all the tricks on the web to turn it off. No Go. Next day "600 miles engine won't restart". Took it to MB Oxford today. They are getting 2 Nox sensors for the end of the week. They want £1,871.52. and will have to remove exhaust. 3.8 hours
Does anyone have the part numbers for the nox sensors and the adblue tank

Just wondered if anyone has tried this gadget............
1622317092013.png

Mercedes Quote with Part Numbers for replacing Nox Sensors on 2012 ML250 TOTAL £ 1,620.96

Labour 3.8 HOURS £385.70

MA166 520 02 23 NOISE CAPSULE £ 88.50

MA000 905 35 03 104A05 NOX SENSOR £417.00

MA202 490 08 41 108C05 CLAMP £ 10.00

MA000 492 08 81 101D04C SEAL RING £ 5.75

MA000 492 08 81 101D04C SEAL RING £ 5.75

MA202 490 08 41 108C05 CLAMP £ 10.00

MN910143 008 006 102D06C HEXALOBULAR BOL £ 1.40

MN910143 008 006 102D06C HEXALOBULAR BOL £ 1.40

MA000 905 36 03 104A13 NOX SENSOR £379.00

MA002 995 49 02 107E09 PIPECLAMP F EXH £ 46.30

NET £1,350.80
VAT £ 270.16
TOTAL £ 1,620.96

Quote Reply

I had both my Nox sensors fail on my 2015 220d fitted aftermarket ones from xenons4u no problems since
Hi, yes, I have the same problem - combination downstream NOX sensor and the Adblue countdown of doom! I am in the midst of a MB Customer Service complaint procedure about who pays but it doesn't make much difference as they haven't got any and don't have a clue when they will be available. I'm thinking I might bite the bullet and buy a replacement from Zenons4u - have you had any issues since you fitted it? By the way, I have a 65 plate E220 Bluetec and both NOX sensors were replaced under warranty just over 3 years ago in 2018 and I've had the recent recall software update.
Cheers

Hi, yes, I have the same problem - combination downstream NOX sensor and the Adblue countdown of doom! I am in the midst of a MB Customer Service complaint procedure about who pays but it doesn't make much difference as they haven't got any and don't have a clue when they will be available. I'm thinking I might bite the bullet and buy a replacement from Zenons4u - have you had any issues since you fitted it? By the way, I have a 65 plate E220 Bluetec and both NOX sensors were replaced under warranty just over 3 years ago in 2018 and I've had the recent recall software update.
Cheers
Jesus buddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom