Adblue question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keith of kent

Car
E212 350 sport night edition estate , GLA 200 Sport Premium
E350 BlueTec 2015 15K miles.
Bought car 3 months ago with 12500 miles from main Dealer.
My journeys are usually 20-40 miles long between cold starts.I would presume that the Adblue tank was filled up as part of their checks, but who knows?
Going to South of France in a few weeks, should I top up the Adblue , I don't want hassle on holiday.
If I need to top up where do I buy the stuff. Is it all the same, should I go to Halfords, Euro car parts or do I have to get it from MB?

It's all the same. - ~32% "synthetic pig urea" in deionised water; it's even for sale in the supermarket.

I don't think there's any harm in topping it up before you go, but I wouldn't have thought you'd have any problems finding it on the continent (other than correctly identifying it in French).

Interestingly I found recently that what precipitated the VAG emissions saga was their not wanting to licence BlueTec from MB. - They thought they could create their own, equally as good, system. When they couldn't, that's when they decided to fake the test(s).

Any good Motor Factors should keep it on the shelf we do, Ecp are usually quite keen price wise.

You can check the adblue level and range within the menu system.

Some Shell garages have an adblue pump that I gather is well priced.
Other than that, I buy mine online £20 for 20L. Make sure it comes with a nozzle.

Main dealer you bought from should have topped it up during vehicle check before handover, a full tank should, I'm told last for the 15000 miles between services, if it should get low, a warning appears on the dash, and apparently leaves plenty of time for you to get some and top up. Have a good trip.:thumb:

Good heavens. It's on the shelf at decent filling stations, as it's now a normal consumable item. Buy some and top up before you go, then you're not worrying.

You can check the adblue level and range within the menu system.

Some Shell garages have an adblue pump that I gather is well priced.
Other than that, I buy mine online £20 for 20L. Make sure it comes with a nozzle.

OK, thanks for all your replies, very helpful.
Think I'll get some and top it up, how much should I sensibly buy, I do about 14K miles P/A?

I reckon I have found pretty much everything on the menu system but have not seen this, is it on the steering wheel controls as a sub menu or something?
To elaborate its a September 2015 Reg E350 AMG Night edition Bluetec

Interestingly I found recently that what precipitated the VAG emissions saga was their not wanting to licence BlueTec from MB. - They thought they could create their own, equally as good, system. When they couldn't, that's when they decided to fake the test(s).

Interesting. First time I've seen this.

I thought that VAG had programmed their cars to enable the AddBlue system and more aggressive EGR mapping when they recognised they were operating on a dyno over an emissions test cycle. During normal use they would operate with less EGR and use less AddBlue, which gives better performance and potential for better fuel economy. :dk:

I had no idea it was linked in anyway to MB and licensing for de-NOx technology.

Interesting. First time I've seen this.

I thought that VAG had programmed their cars to enable the AddBlue system ....

The issue VW had is they didn't want to fit AdBlue systems to meet US standards as it adds around $1000 to the cost of the car. That was considered too much in the highly competitive US market.

That's why the damages costs are so high - they can't realistically retro-fit AdBlue systems to used cars so they're having to buy them back off owners.

OP: I don't know if MB dealers do this, but VW has mandated that dealers must offer a drop-in service for AdBlue refilling at a fixed cost of £1.50 per litre. I've never bothered with this for wife's Tiguan, but as it costs around £1/litre anyway, and filling on some models is awkward as the filler is under the boot floor, a lot of owners do use the dealer. Our's doesn't do many miles so I just drop 5 Litres in every now and again using the VW filling hose (which I think has standard fitting for all AdBlue systems).

Last edited:
Last edited:
The issue VW had is they didn't want to fit AdBlue systems to meet US standards as it adds around $1000 to the cost of the car. That was considered too much in the highly competitive US market.

That's why the damages costs are so high - they can't realistically retro-fit AdBlue systems to used cars so they're having to buy them back off owners.

Interesting. Didn't know that VW were not fitting AddBlue technology in their US cars. They didn't need it to pass Euro 5, but trying to meet the US limits for NOx by relying on engine tuning and EGR and then proving customers with a car that gives decent performance and fuel economy would always have been a tough ask.

I ended up buying 10l for £14. Put 3 1/2 litres in 2800 miles from when I got the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom