ADBLUE refill ( Service Contract )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Care to expand on this "Advice"?
Simple value for money calculation I think.
Parting with my money early to no real advantage vs list prices for servicing.
Never had an issue with the dealership I use for last 15 years!.
I think if a service plan is part of the deal at purchase people are inclined to accept it however My preference is getting best deal buying the car initially.

I don't think you are going to get better served if you take out a plan so pay as you go seems to make sense.

Last edited:
I think if a service plan is part of the deal at purchase people are inclined to accept it however My preference is getting best deal buying the car initially.

I don't think you are going to get better served if you take out a plan so pay as you go seems to make sense.
I am almost certain it works out cheaper on a plan. Mine wasn't any part of the original deal. Just up for renew now

I think I am beginning to understand the commercial logic behind defeat devices... it didn't occur to me that adding Urea injection also meant an increase of 20-25Kg in weight - that can't be good for the official CO2 figure.
Harry Metcalfe (Harry's Garage) did a good video on the co2 emissions of electric vehicles. His calculations show that at best the average electric vehicle is only 50% less co2 than his Range Rover and in some parts of the country, dependant on where the power comes from, the electric vehicle is responsible for more co2 emissions than his Range Rover.

A service plan will nearly always be cheaper than paying for services as required.

At my last service my S205 had the engine software update. Prior to the service a full Adblue tank gave about 14,700 miles from memory. The emissions software update seems to make the car use more adblue as the full tank range showed as 4,700 after the service. My car was 3/4 full when it went in for service and was completely full after the service. I believe the service plan only gives 10l as a top up but 10l plastic bottles from Morrisons filling stations or EBay are in the region of £11 having to purchase a bottle to fill up is not going to break the bank. With my service sheet I got a leaflet warning about not running out of adblue.
The software update does make the car use more adblue as I can already see the remaining range dropping even after the low lockdown mileage. I was a little concerned that the engine software update would hit fuel economy, now on my second tank of fuel I can report that I am getting the same range per tank as pre update. Looks like I may have to purchase adblue between services but at about £11 per year I think I will cope.
Talking to one of my neighbours Who runs an Audi and a VW about my change in adblue range he said both his cars need frequent top ups and would never go between services.
Just looked at ours today. Used to be about 15,000 miles between refills which so far have always been done by the during the annual service. Today, the display is showing about 5,000 miles, service was done in March about 1,500 miles ago. So looks like the tank will probably need a top up before the next service. Just need to find out how big it is now.

Harry Metcalfe (Harry's Garage) did a good video on the co2 emissions of electric vehicles. His calculations show that at best the average electric vehicle is only 50% less co2 than his Range Rover and in some parts of the country, dependant on where the power comes from, the electric vehicle is responsible for more co2 emissions than his Range Rover.

EVs are not meant to cut emissions as such, because this depends on how the electricity is produced and therefore out of the car manufacturers' control.

Obviously coal powered powerstations will be less clean than nuclear or renewable energy etc. But that's a worry for the government, not for the car manufacturer.

The point of EVs is that they remove the harmful emissions from city centers, improving the air quality, and people's health.

CO2 emissions are a completely separate story, CO2 is harmless to humans so it makes no difference where you emit it, only the total amount emitted counts.

Circa £350-£400 per year for main dealer servicing, started at the right point in history saves you a shed load of money. Courtesy car, parts and labour discount, good will etc

Definitely a money saver wether you pay for it up front or monthly

EVs are not meant to cut emissions as such, because this depends on how the electricity is produced and therefore out of the car manufacturers' control.

Obviously coal powered powerstations will be less clean than nuclear or renewable energy etc. But that's a worry for the government, not for the car manufacturer.

The point of EVs is that they remove the harmful emissions from city centers, improving the air quality, and people's health.

CO2 emissions are a completely separate story, CO2 is harmless to humans so it makes no difference where you emit it, only the total amount emitted counts.
EVs remove some harmful emissions from city centres. They do however produce particulate from tyres and brakes, still create dust from wearing the road surface etc.. The overall environmental impact/benefit of widespread use of EVs as compared to conventional ICeV is still up for debate, dependent on which boundary conditions are applied.

EVs remove some harmful emissions from city centres. They do however produce particulate from tyres and brakes, still create dust from wearing the road surface etc.. The overall environmental impact/benefit of widespread use of EVs as compared to conventional ICeV is still up for debate, dependent on which boundary conditions are applied.
The EV pool car at work uses regeneration braking to recharge the batteries. Although regeneration braking will not bring the car to a complete stop, this is done by a conventional braking system, regeneration braking will reduce the amount of particulates generated compared to a conventional braking system. For example, when traveling down a steep hill (of which there are many in HK), the EV regenerates the battery while holding the car to the desired speed without using the brakes.

The EV pool car at work uses regeneration braking to recharge the batteries. Although regeneration braking will not bring the car to a complete stop, this is done by a conventional braking system, regeneration braking will reduce the amount of particulates generated compared to a conventional braking system. For example, when traveling down a steep hill (of which there are many in HK), the EV regenerates the battery while holding the car to the desired speed without using the brakes.
Yes regenerative braking is very helpful for reducing particulates from braking materials. EVs like any other vehicle, still produce/release tyre and road particulate, which is not insignificant.

Yes regenerative braking is very helpful for reducing particulates from braking materials. EVs like any other vehicle, still produce/release tyre and road particulate, which is not insignificant.
Agreed, the regenerative braking will help to reduce particulates and as such an EV vehicle should no more particulate from braking than a petrol/diesel vehicle, and should, in theory, be less.

Depends on your drive cycle, we have customers in at work complaining as they are in every few months to refill their adblue and others we dont see from service to service to get theirs topped up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom