Add CD changer to Comand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ijmj

Car
2002 CLK 240 Avantgarde - 2005 SLK 200 Kompressor R171
Hi All,
I have a 2002 CLK240 Avantgarde I have upgraded the Audio 10 CD/Radio to a Comand unit no problem so far, purchased an adapter loom and everything works as it should, however I now want to add a CD changer in the glove box, as I am tired of changing the CD every time I want to use the Satnav, I have the CD changer but no wiring/cables any ideas what I need and where to get it from, I have read that some models are pre wired or have spare cables stored in places but I dont think mine is or has as I can't see any spare wires/fibre optic cables anywhere, unless I'm not looking in the right places. I have contacted 'comand online' and all I get is a invite to book it in with them. I am quite capable of doing this myself just need a little help. Please !

Apologies if I am not directly answering your question, but I would have thought that cd changers have been made redundant by newer tech in cars - e.g. Bluetooth or USB? Would it not be easier to go down that route? I have a USB storage device in my car with a large proportion of my CD collection loaded. Between that, Bluetooth to my phone and the music register in the car, it gives a variety of options. The car has a single CD player, which I never use.

Apologies if I am not directly answering your question, but I would have thought that cd changers have been made redundant by newer tech in cars - e.g. Bluetooth or USB? Would it not be easier to go down that route? I have a USB storage device in my car with a large proportion of my CD collection loaded. Between that, Bluetooth to my phone and the music register in the car, it gives a variety of options. The car has a single CD player, which I never use.
Hi
Thanks for the reply, but I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to this type of thing, I'd put an 8 track in if I could get away with it, or at least a cassette player but I also like to keep it original, hence the comand unit instead of a more modern unit, which may look the same but isn't if you know what I mean. Thank anyway.

Your car wont have the wiring pre-installed.

You need a D2B wiring kit; CD wiring kit for D2B W203/W209 (C/CLK) with COMAND

You also need the RHD CD changer mounting bracket which is no longer made by Mercedes.

Once installed you will need to get the comand coded to recognise the CD changer. You might be lucky and it just work but if your comand has no other fibre devices then its unlikely it will work without coding.

You will need to give the CD changer a Live, Switched Live and MOST Wake up ( usually on a three pin connector), as well as an optical link to the comand head unit ( if you have no other optical devices this will need to be a loop from the comand to the changer and the back from the changer to the comand
Should be able to get the required fibre bits on eBay and the three pin connector is generic to most German cars - they use it for the mirrors and audio system on BMW’s - I went to a local breakers to get some recently from an E46 bmw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you need it coding I am in Cheltenham and can code it for you, or there are others on the forum that may be closer

The wiring is not there. You need an adapter cable and will lose the auxiliary socket in the glovebox. I seem to remember there is also an adapter to allow the CD cable to wire to the head unit. I got ours from local MB dealer but its so long ago I can't remember exactly what was needed. I may have the invoice somewhere so if i find it I will post the part numbers.

The power cable must be correct. It looks identical to the one for the MOST (later cars) but the pinouts are different. It has Live (permanent), earth and wake up on it. You do not need switched live.

AUX can be retained as the CD changer sits on the opposite side of the glovebox to the AUX.

It looks like to would be probably cheaper, and certainly easier, to what I did..

Buy some old ipods for £5 each, where the jog wheel is broken, and plug in to the HU. Simples :)

Yeah, my bad - meant earth not switched live !

Thanks for all the replies, I'll probably go for the D2B wiring kit, which is a little dear, but needs must, unless anyone has some fire optic and wiring that they no longer want, Anyway thank you for all the help and advice, I will post how I get on.

Hi
Thanks for the reply, but I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to this type of thing, I'd put an 8 track in if I could get away with it, or at least a cassette player but I also like to keep it original, hence the comand unit instead of a more modern unit, which may look the same but isn't if you know what I mean. Thank anyway.

If you're in the market for an 8 track, I might have one buried at the back of the garage! Good luck with the CD changer, hope you get it sorted out.

Greenman I am intrigued. My car has a factory cd and Comand ntg2. Comand has an additional aux input for the IPod. How do you control it?

There is an iPod kit for the ntg2 that replaces the std aux input. The kit gives you control via the steering wheel and track info on the instrument display. Nothing on the main ntg2 display. A bit pants by today’s standards but was ok 13 years ago I suppose.

I am thinking about alternatives. Aux input needs to be enabled on Star, IIRC and I have a glovebox full of obsolete tech that seems not to work very well with MP3 cds despite what the car's data card says. Bluetooth using the Comand is expensive and MP3 from an Ipodconverter doesn't work well either. Both together would cost as much as the car cost me. Realistically, I need to find a head unit with all the kit in it. Trouble is the steering wheel speaks CANBUS and the stereos don't without yet another control box. Tear the CD changer out. Gain a glovebox. Fit a Parrot. Gain an ungainly bluetooth. Activate the aux input. gain MP3. Parrot costs around the same as the bluetooth puck. Aux input means ungainly ipod control.
A used steering wheel would yield two can transmitting switch banks to give me the switch messages and only the right ones. I can hack that data to drive a new stereo with stuff I have and possibly even drive the ipod. As with all things Mercedes, wiring diagrams and electronic information is hard to find. This silicon sorceror will have to do some hacking!

There is always the old cars with old stereos are cool vibe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom