Add Heating Radiator in Garage / Any Plumbers offer Advice Please ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks, very cool, never seen these before but I'm not a plumbing guy.
Just watched a mad plumber on Youtube doing an install on this, seen a few of his videos, quite funny.
I think I know the guy you mean , yes , he really tells It like it is :)

Sounds a bit like my nans old place.
Funny you should say that, the couple that owned the house were very old and had lived in if for a long time, we have spoken to neighbours who seem to recall that just about all of the work that took place in the house over the last 30 years of the couples ownership was done by family and 'friends'.....I could go on telling you about some of the stuff I have uncovered while refurbishing this 120 year old place, everything from the year 1900 is spot on but just about everything done after that was pants .But this is a car forum and I prefer not to remember what I have been through :p !

I have a Combi boiler with a CombiMate unit and a MaganaFlow unit installed. During first lockdown I removed/replaced two upstairs radiators and noted that the heating system water was perfectly clear. The first few times I 'drained' the Magnaflow it had removed a lot of black 'bits' from the system , I live in a hard water area and replace the Combiphos balls in the Combimate every 12 months. I now drain the Magnaflow annualy.

It all seems to help.

Thanks a lot everyone.

I will be fitting one of these Magnetc cleaners.
Well I'll buy one and give the nephew a call. ;)
If you’re going to fit a Magnetic cleaner you’ll need to drain down so while you’re at it, get the nephew to cut in 2no tees and valve them off for your garage rad.

View attachment 107101View attachment 107102If you use the Adey Pro 2 filter above , you can connect one of the Adey Magnacleanse filters for a day (takes minutes to connect )

Are you saying with the Magnaclean Pro 2 installed it is easy to then add the Magnacleanse and leave in place for a day to "cleanse" the system?
Assume the Magnacleanse is some sort of superior cleaning system, just checked the cost and at around £500 it's something I'd have to pay a local plumber (assuming any have it) for the use of it.

If you’re going to fit a Magnetic cleaner you’ll need to drain down so while you’re at it, get the nephew to cut in 2no tees and valve them off for your garage rad.

Exactly yes, would seem like a logical thing to do.

Are you saying with the Magnaclean Pro 2 installed it is easy to then add the Magnacleanse and leave in place for a day to "cleanse" the system?
Assume the Magnacleanse is some sort of superior cleaning system, just checked the cost and at around £500 it's something I'd have to pay a local plumber (assuming any have it) for the use of it.
Or is it a Monkey for a plumber to flush out the system and then to supply and install the filter and top up with inhibitor?

Yes , the Pro 2 is a quick release filter , the Magnacleanse itself comes with a quick connect adapter to put the hoses straight on to it . There is stuff on YouTube for the Adey Magnacleanse , but basically you add a strong cleaner , and run the system one radiator at a time , hammering each rad with an sds drill (special adapter included ) , this loosens muck which collects on the two large magnets .
At the end flush with cold water , refit the pro 2 , add inhibitor , light cigar and pour a large snifter :) .
Took me 5 hours when I did it
They are £500 new , but in the summer there are loads of second hand ones for £200-250 . I think I paid £220 . If you kept It to the following winter you would easily sell it for more than you paid , probably £300+
This would pay for most of you pro 2 cost .
May advice is only tinker with central heating systems that are working , is to wait for July when you don’t need them .

Or is it a Monkey for a plumber to flush out the system and then to supply and install the filter and top up with inhibitor?

Had me thinking, was thinking about the British Gas "plumbers" and monkey then remembered £500 is a monkey where some folks are from.

Money saved in future problems :)

Exactly what we were thinking.
We have even thought about buying the Magnacleanse, we can do 4 houses, 2 that currently have the Magnaclean and the other two we will fit to so over the course works out not too bad.

Exactly what we were thinking.
We have even thought about buying the Magnacleanse, we can do 4 houses, 2 that currently have the Magnaclean and the other two we will fit to so over the course works out not too bad.
Man after my own heart buddy :)

Can I ask if there would be any benefit from fitting a filter to an old central heating system that uses a cast iron boiler. I understand the boiler is inefficient but it's proved bullet proof reliable.

Can I ask if there would be any benefit from fitting a filter to an old central heating system that uses a cast iron boiler. I understand the boiler is inefficient but it's proved bullet proof reliable.
Had this with father in law.
He had a perfectly functioning gas fire with back boiler which he paid a fortune for15ish years ago. Had a contract with British Gas for annual service & breakdown. Each year British Gas engineer tried to scare him into replacing the boiler "as spares for these are getting scarce".
His neighbours either side had their boilers replaced with new gas combi boilers and he thought he should also as new boilers are much more efficient than old ones and he would save money. I asked him what the projected savings were and he said 10%. I then asked him what his annual gas bills were and he produced the last 4 quarterly bills which totalled just under £700. So a 10% saving might be £70.
I then asked him how much they wanted for a new boiler and he said £5000. So the pay back time would be over 71 years!!!!!!! By which time the new boiler would have failed (many times) where the old cast iron boiler would have plodded on.
That placated him until the next annual service.
He then insisted on a new boiler and I found a heating engineer who would do the replacement for £3500.
Still not happy as the house wasn't any warmer with the new boiler.
Mother in law complained that the bedrooms & bathroom were always cold.
Building is a bungalow with kitchen & lounge diner at the front and bedrooms/bathroom at the rear. Boiler is in the kitchen. Gas fire in lounge. Thermostat & programmer in lounge.
Father in law (tight ar5e) has the programmer set for 1 hour in the morning & 1 hour in the evening. The lounge just gets warmish, mother in law turns on the gas fire as "it isn't very warm" room heats up and thermostat shuts down the boiler. Hot water never gets the chance to circulate to the bedrooms/bathroom.
No amount of explaining will convince him to run the heating for longer. He is 84 & on a comfortable pension but is too tight to spend money on heating. Mother in laws father died in a freezing house with no heating..................

I asked him what the projected savings were and he said 10%. I then asked him what his annual gas bills were and he produced the last 4 quarterly bills which totalled just under £700. So a 10% saving might be £70.
I then asked him how much they wanted for a new boiler and he said £5000. So the pay back time would be over 71 years!!!!!!! By which time the new boiler would have failed (many times) where the old cast iron boiler would have plodded on.

I'm in a similar situation and came up with a payback period of 20 years for a new boiler and that's before any repairs that might be needed. I've been spending money on insulation instead. My current conventional boiler has never needed anything except a thermocouple which cost just a few pounds so I'm wary of swapping it for something vastly more complex. I'm thinking I'll stick with it and jump to the new technology of a heat pump when the time comes.

When you install the magnetic filters, my understanding on removing and cleaning the filter was as follows:

Check it after 1 day. If it's full of magnetic crud, clean it, refit and check it the next day. Repeat until when you check it 'the next day' it's pretty clean.

Check it after 1 week. If it's full of magnetic crud, clean it, refit and check it the next week. Repeat until when you check it 'the next week' it's pretty clean.

Check it the next month.... and so on.

Then six months.

And when you get past this, you should be into annual check and cleaning.

It sounds a faff, but you quickly get to the 6 month checking, and then to annual, but the early cleaning means you get metallic oxide crud out quickly and minimise pump damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom