Adding Carplay to W176

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

russguk

Car
2016 W176
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so, firstly, "hello"! I apologise if this topic has been covered before. I've tried to find the info I'm looking for but seem to get conflicts. So, hopefully, you guys will be able to help me out once and for all, here goes:

Last week we purchased a 2016 A class for our Son. It's an A180D AMG line Premium Plus with night pack so seemed to be fitted with quite a few bells and whistles. I assumed (as I'd looked at a few W176's before buying this one) that Carplay was standard. Unfortunatley it isn't on the vehicle (the car is a March 2016 build) so I've been looking to see if and how I can get this on and this is where I'm really getting confused! Do I have Audio20 or Comand? and is it NTG5, NTG5*1 or NTG5*2? Going off the VIN card it's Audio20 as it is listed as "522 - Audio20 radio navigation capable NTG5".

If that's so, is there a way I know if it's 5, 5*1 or 5*2? I've looked at the OBD adapters you can get online but just need to make sure if the vehicle's compatible with one of these. Or do I actually need one of these - is there a way Carplay could be activated without?

Sorry for so many questions 🤣

Edit: Don't know if it makes any difference to my question but I've attached a pic of the unit

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 7
Not familiar with the A Class but looks the same as the one in a 2016 S212 W class which is NTG 5.1. If so then see W212 E-Class & Apple CarPlay / Android Auto - The Jam Journal
Thanks for that, makes good reading. It does appear that the unit is NTG5*1. I went into the Navi settings and the device ID showed as that (pic attached).

The only confusion for me now is what is Comand? I'm just assuming that my unit is Audio20 NTG5*1 but not sure on the Comand or Comand Online aspects of the Merc systems :confused::confused::confused:🤣.

I think I may just take a punt on getting one of the OBD devices and see if that will do the job.

Attachments

• NTG.jpg
    NTG.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Thanks for that, makes good reading. It does appear that the unit is NTG5*1. I went into the Navi settings and the device ID showed as that (pic attached).

The only confusion for me now is what is Comand? I'm just assuming that my unit is Audio20 NTG5*1 but not sure on the Comand or Comand Online aspects of the Merc systems :confused::confused::confused:🤣.

I think I may just take a punt on getting one of the OBD devices and see if that will do the job.
Take a read at this, you'll get the general idea on COMAND.
Albeit that's talking about a new car, but COMAND is by and large still the same for previous models.

If it says ‘Don’t let Comand distract you’ on startup then it is Comand, otherwise it is Audio 20.
If you are getting the obd dongle from the guy in Belarus on ebay (vladimircdi) you send him your chassis number and he verifies it will work.

Check the link i posted. It tells you how to get into the dealer menu. Check if there is an option for carplay volume in there. If there isn't an enabler alone won't work for you.

If it says ‘Don’t let Comand distract you’ on startup then it is Comand, otherwise it is Audio 20.
If you are getting the obd dongle from the guy in Belarus on ebay (vladimircdi) you send him your chassis number and he verifies it will work.
Thanks, there's no reference to Comand on the start-up so, as I expected (due to the VIN card) it is just Audio20. Just can't grasp fully what the difference is functionally 😆

Reactions: Ted
Check the link i posted. It tells you how to get into the dealer menu. Check if there is an option for carplay volume in there. If there isn't an enabler alone won't work for you.
OK, will check that when Son gets home from work

Checked and no Carplay volume present :(. Does that mean I need to go through MB? Or does anybody know any Lancashire independents, preferably on the Fylde coast, who could do this?

Sorry to post back on this thread. Son took his car into MB (Blackpool) today and they told him there's no way they can get Carplay onto his unit??? This seems to conflict with a lot of the info I read about people having done so in the past. Or do we just need to see if MB will update the firmware for the car then get an enabler for the Carplay (I sent an enquiry about an enabler to an ebay trader and they said I would need a firmware update first (as they had access to the MB database so knew what firmware the car already has)). Or is there any known independents who can sort this out for us?

I don't know if Audio20 NTG5*1 has native support for Apple CarPlay. But I suggest that you talk to www.comandonline.co.uk.

If Apple CarPlay can be activated, they will know how to do it. If it can't, then they will be able to supply an aftermarket kit that will add this functionality.

I don't know if Audio20 NTG5*1 has native support for Apple CarPlay. But I suggest that you talk to www.comandonline.co.uk.

If Apple CarPlay can be activated, they will know how to do it. If it can't, then they will be able to supply an aftermarket kit that will add this functionality.
Yes, they installed Car Play to my Bentley and did a fatastic job. Highy recommended 👍

Thanks, I've messaged them to see if we have any options

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom