Adding Sportline Suspension on 190e 2.6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon1966

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
219 Vito Sport Crew Van
Hi All

Anyone any idea of the full parts list and price required to change a standard 190e 2.6 to full Sportline suspension? I’m talking original MB parts not aftermarket. And are all the parts still available?

I know just adding the suspension won’t make it a Sportline car. I’m just curious as it seems from what I’ve read that the suspension upgrade is the real key part of the sportline packages that were available at the time and made the standard car ride, handle and of course look much better.

There’s other differences than just the springs/dampers - different ARBs, bushes and the steering box has fewer turns lock-to-lock, different wheels/tyres too obviously.

On the other hand, any original sportline will have ~ 30 year old parts so fresh springs and shocks etc will transform the ride and handling. Likewise engine mounts and stuff like that, they’re all going to need doing at some point. I probably wouldn’t bother going original MB for everything at this age, as the car won’t be original anyway and the cost would be prohibitive - Sachs make the supertouring dampers which are to the Sportline spec, the springs might not be too bad from MB, but I would probably stick with OE branded parts for the rest. You can re-bush the front arms and get new ball joints but new arms are probably a lot easier and cheaper to fit unless you’re doing all the work yourself and have access to a hydraulic press etc.

Tbh, unless you find a garage queen low miler or something that’s been restored you will probably end up wanting to drop the subframe and replace most of the suspension links and bushes etc, likewise the front control arms. These are old cars now and most will be showing their age :)

Depends what you want out of the car and how long you intend to keep it etc I guess? :thumb:

Your local MB dealer can help with this.

Make sure all the other suspension components are in good condition too. If the arms are original then they maybe tired by now.

There’s other differences than just the springs/dampers - different ARBs, bushes and the steering box has fewer turns lock-to-lock, different wheels/tyres too obviously.

On the other hand, any original sportline will have ~ 30 year old parts so fresh springs and shocks etc will transform the ride and handling. Likewise engine mounts and stuff like that, they’re all going to need doing at some point. I probably wouldn’t bother going original MB for everything at this age, as the car won’t be original anyway and the cost would be prohibitive - Sachs make the supertouring dampers which are to the Sportline spec, the springs might not be too bad from MB, but I would probably stick with OE branded parts for the rest. You can re-bush the front arms and get new ball joints but new arms are probably a lot easier and cheaper to fit unless you’re doing all the work yourself and have access to a hydraulic press etc.

Tbh, unless you find a garage queen low miler or something that’s been restored you will probably end up wanting to drop the subframe and replace most of the suspension links and bushes etc, likewise the front control arms. These are old cars now and most will be showing their age :)

Depends what you want out of the car and how long you intend to keep it etc I guess? :thumb:

The post I wanted to write. :)

Reactions: 219

Cheers Will

Just what I needed really. I keep googling 190 2.6’s for sale. Most are obviously not sportlines, and often ones that say they are, rarely have the full sportline spec. Mostly learnt from what you posted previously on the eBay threads.

I was just thinking there’s probably a far better chance finding a nice non sportline car and doing the suspension mods to it. Especially as you say even a sportline car may be pretty tired suspension wise by now anyway.

For me personally I’d always be looking at it as a car to keep long term.

Cheers Will

Just what I needed really. I keep googling 190 2.6’s for sale. Most are obviously not sportlines, and often ones that say they are, rarely have the full sportline spec. Mostly learnt from what you posted previously on the eBay threads.

I was just thinking there’s probably a far better chance finding a nice non sportline car and doing the suspension mods to it. Especially as you say even a sportline car may be pretty tired suspension wise by now anyway.

For me personally I’d always be looking at it as a car to keep long term.

Most we see are absolutely hanging.

I’m not too concerned about the wheels and tyres as I’d probably look at fitting other wheel options anyway in 16’s or maybe 17’s.

Suspension mainly and lots of hidden rot. My Instagram page has some pics of 129's and 124's with tired suspension.

Front lower ball joints is the big suspension safety issue on w201's. They are press fit and when they let go your front suspension will collapse. Symptoms of bad ball joints are notchy steering feel.

If i was buying a 190 i would want to know they had been replaced fairly recently or budget to do them.

A few years back i got Sachs front springs for my 190d from euro car parts for about £35 each.

Agreed about the suspension renewal. I drove a lovely 190 the other day but after standing for a long time before the vendor recommissioned it, I'm sure she would have benefited from several replacement parts.

And a day underneath my 124 fitting new bushes was rewarded with a much better ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom