Additional sub-woofer.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cfoster

Car
W212 E350, Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, W201 190e, 2019 Volvo V90 R Design, Mk5 Golf Gti
I've recently bought an 2014 S63 coupe, very pleased with it, it has the Burmester stereo which is ok although lacking rear bass.

I'm adding a JL Audio 12W3V3-2 sub in the back via a line out converter, Rockford amp etc... What I need to know is sub box dimension. The sub spec says prefered box size is 35litres, however I can only seem to find 30litre or 40litre boxes online (not interested in making custom box etc...).

So which one am I better or getting to get the best out of the sub, bigger or smaller?

Reactions: BMF
I've recently bought an 2014 S63 coupe, very pleased with it, it has the Burmester stereo which is ok although lacking rear bass.

I'm adding a JL Audio 12W3V3-2 sub in the back via a line out converter, Rockford amp etc... What I need to know is sub box dimension. The sub spec says prefered box size is 35litres, however I can only seem to find 30litre or 40litre boxes online (not interested in making custom box etc...).

So which one am I better or getting to get the best out of the sub, bigger or smaller?
Bigger is always best ;-).

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Bigger for sure. That's a big old car, a little extra boom will help.

The box size is pertinent to the speaker so best off you call the supplier of the speaker and ask them.

I take it you are aware there is a sub in the car already?

Agreed its the pertinent to the speaker, this is the reason for asking! It requires around 35l so if my options are to go higher or lower what I am better doing. If higher could I wad it out to shrink the airspace inside.....

Yes aware there is a sub but its all bass from the front and sounds very odd. I have all of the stuff I need to fit it except the box so very cost effective (hopefully!)....

Hiya,
What you can do is buy the smaller box and also buy some Kapok wadding, the stuffing they use in cheap continental quilts and pillows. You will need to buy enough to line the entire inside of the smaller box to a depth of around 60mm this will have the effect of increasing the internal surface area of the box, basically the box volume is increased by virtue of the increased internal surface area, This is why most speaker enclosures have some form of wadding inside, it also absorbs standing wave forms inside the box. Trust me it does work.
I have also looked at the specs for your chosen sub and they recommend 35.4L sealed box or 49.6L ported box.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom