Adjustable ride height w211 e320 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Digritz

Hi
Quick question
I have a e320 cdi
Getting a few too many niggles to sort out and still justify keeping the car ( engine mounts , steering , suspension fault )
So I’m trying to find a nice one to replace it
But
What I can’t find is any other e320 with the adjustable suspension mine has ?
There is a. Button by the gear selector with comfort , sport 1 or sport 2 as setting which hunckers down the car and firms up the ride which is great when it gets a bit twisty !
So my question is
Did they take this feature off the cars after 2005 ( pre face lift ) or is it mine is just super rare ?
In which case I might invest the 1000/2000 to get it sorted out .

look forward to hearing from you !!

It's called AirMATIC and is probably somewhat rare on an E320 as it was a cost option (I'm not sure how much but I guess medium 4 figures).

It was available on all W211s from launch as far as I am aware.

It's standard on the E500 and E55K but you don't get it so often on lower models in the range (I've seen it on E240 petrols before but not many).

It's a great system but can be expensive to maintain.

I personally would keep the system going but only if the car was otherwise reliable and nothing else major is wrong with it.

I also wouldn't be put off the if the cost to repair was the same or more than the car is worth.

I think when you get to this stage, it's more about what the car is worth to you and what you get out of it.

Engine mounts are relatively cheap although I would find out the situation with the steering though.

If one of the struts is leaking (4 of them), they are getting on for a grand each fitted so go into this with your eyes open if you do decide to go ahead.

However, it could just be a pump (£200 odd).

Just be aware though that the second you get it all working, something else might then go and make you regret bothering.

That's old cars for you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 219
Find a good independent and get them to look over the car and quote to put right what they find wrong , and also to advise on any other potential issues .

At the same time compare this with what you would spend buying another car , bearing in mind that , unless buying new , a replacement vehicle can sometimes have unknown issues which also cost to fix .

Oh , airmatic is more commonly found on S-Classes , if looking for another car you might look at something like an S320 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom