adjusting chain tensioner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scooter

Car
mercedes 230te w124
icon10.gif
hi recent member just found time to sit down and look at how to post a thread i drive a 91 e230 w124 estate my car is the my avatar first of all i would like to say thanks to all the members threads that i have read and where a big help cheers

i am mechanically minded but not a pro mechanic but nothing much stops me from having a look and 1 out of 1000 not been able to fix i am still alive and have not killed any of the cars that i have worked on

icon11.gif
so here is my question
timing chain loose very slightly a bit of chain noise i had read a few threads but can't find the answer that i am looking for can i tighten the chain tensioner or replace it without having to take the front of the engine off and if so what do i need to be careful of ie tightening to much that the chain tensioner falls inside the engine
icon5.gif

The chain tensioner lives onthe r/h side of the timing case sticking out. You could try replacing it if the chain is rattling it's probably due for replacement.

The chain can be split and replcaced without taking the timing case off, just wind it in using the old chain to draw it in. Then connect the two ends back up again.
Chain and tensioner.

The tensioner has to be re-set too. Its a bit difficultt to explain how to do it. I can explain over the phone if you wish. Oh and get new sealing rings for it when you remove it. They tend to leak if you dont.

are you sure it is the chain that is noisy and not the v-belt tensioner assembly rattling - which would be a much more likely failure and much easier to fix

dieselman is there a split link in the chain or do i need to cut it

You need to part it. There is a link splitter tool which pushes a rivet out, similar to a pedal cycle chain splitter.
if you can't press the rivet out grind the head off it.
You then use the split link that comes with the new chain to draw it round, then peen a new rivet head.

Some brave souls use the starter motor to draw the chain round. I'd practice that on an old engine first...:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom