Adjusting lights for use on continent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bozmandb9

Car
Mercedes E350 AvantGarde 2005
Hi guys, just off to France for a skiing holiday, and I was sure that the E-Class would have an adjustment to change the headlight deflection, but on checking the owners manual, it says I have to take it to an authorised dealer.

So can anybody enlighten me, is there a switch, and is it easy to find?

Thanks in advance.

Good question, im off to Austria in August so would like to know too ;)

Post 9! looks like there is a lever within the lamp

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=19280

Post 9! looks like there is a lever within the lamp

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=19280

Just found it! Great. Wouldn't want any larger hands though! And it doesn't appear to do much, but certainly moves, and hopefully is doing something!

bozmandb9 said:
Hi guys, just off to France for a skiing holiday, and I was sure that the E-Class would have an adjustment to change the headlight deflection, but on checking the owners manual, it says I have to take it to an authorised dealer. So can anybody enlighten me, is there a switch, and is it easy to find? Thanks in advance.

My last A4 had the upgraded Xenon lights with a facility on the computer to switch them to right hand lane driving. It seems that if you have Xenon on the Mercedes, they are the basic light system so don't have this facility. My previous Audi didn't have Xenons, so I had to take it to a main dealer for them to remove the units, then flick the switches underneath to right hand lane driving. Mercedes have suggested this is the same for vehicles with Xenon lights.

The problem I have with this is that you will be driving illegally in this country with the switched lights. So like my previous Audi, you and I are better off buying the stickers from Halfords or the Internet for a fraction of the price of taking your car to a main dealer to have the lights switched across and then back again.

The upgraded lights which are a £1200 option do have the facility on the computer. Bit annoying really!

Edit from last night: the link seems to be working now...Audi wanted to charge me £120 for the privilege of adjusting the lights.

My last A4 had the upgraded Xenon lights with a facility on the computer to switch them to right hand lane driving. It seems that if you have Xenon on the Mercedes, they are the basic light system so don't have this facility. My previous Audi didn't have Xenons, so I had to take it to a main dealer for them to remove the units, then flick the switches underneath to right hand lane driving. Mercedes have suggested this is the same for vehicles with Xenon lights.

The problem I have with this is that you will be driving illegally in this country with the switched lights. So like my previous Audi, you and I are better off buying the stickers from Halfords or the Internet for a fraction of the price of taking your car to a main dealer to have the lights switched across and then back again.

You won't be illegal in this country. All the switch does is move the beam from left dip to center. This is not illegal in the UK and, in fact, my 211 passed several MOTs with the lamps in this condition. Afaik, stickers do damage to plastic light covers which is why they provide a mechanical means.

Hi
It's taken me two years trying to sort out if the ILS on my W204 was good enough to pass a french CT. Merc h/o and several dealerships in UK and France say the ILS is not good enough and I MUST have new headlights ( £2k minumium!! ) if I move to France permanently. ILS ok as a temp solution only. Found a co-operative dealership in France who sorted it and gave a letter of attestation total 86 euros. Car now registered in France, job done. Moral of the story 'dont give up'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom