Adjusting S211 E Class Estate Tailgate Hinges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon1966

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
219 Vito Sport Crew Van
Hi All

Does anyone know if there is a method of adjusting the tailgate hinges on S211 Estate?

The tailgate on my car never seemed to sit right in the body opening when closed. I did a bit of adjustment myself where the actual hinges bolt onto the tailgate which made it a bit better but basically the whole tailgate needs shifting over a few mm so it sits centrally. I also previously made it sit much better in its locked position by adjusting the lock keep plate so that the force of the electric lock pulled it over. My lock failed a few days ago and I think the failure was probably a lot to do with the strain applied by pulling the tailgate over as such. I have just fitted a new replacement lock (All £287 worth!!!!). Fitting the lock was easy and saved me over £200 for MB to do it but I don't want the new lock having to take as much strain and would like to adjust the tailgate, which would solve it for good.

There is a single bolt visible that attaches each hinge to the car roof. I partially undid both bolts but can't get the taligate to shift at all. I found a pic on ebay of someone selling some secondhand hinges and it appears there are 2 lugs that protrude out of the back of the hinge. The picture is not very clear and these lugs could even be threaded. There isn't room to feel around the back to determine what's going on and I think its double skinned anyway. I would have thought there must be some form of adjustment. The only other thing I can think of is to remove the headlining which isn't an attractive option especially if it makes no difference! I removed the rear roof mounted speaker to see if I could see anything but no joy.

So has anyone done such a job and can shed some light, hopefully I'm just being a bit dense!!??

Thanks

I have some instructions somewhere - if you pm me an email address I'll scan/send them to you over the w/e.

Adjustment aside, I think I'd be questioning why it's not sitting right in the first place. You can be 99.9% certain that it was OK when it left the factory, so what's happened since then to cause it to move sideways? Perhaps it's had some damage at some point before it became yours. If it were mine, I think I'd be getting a bodyshop to take a look, as the tailgate is a big, heavy lump and could be difficult to adjust yourself. Sorry, but that didn't really answer your query!

Adjustment aside, I think I'd be questioning why it's not sitting right in the first place. You can be 99.9% certain that it was OK when it left the factory, so what's happened since then to cause it to move sideways? Perhaps it's had some damage at some point before it became yours. If it were mine, I think I'd be getting a bodyshop to take a look, as the tailgate is a big, heavy lump and could be difficult to adjust yourself. Sorry, but that didn't really answer your query!

Hi

I have looked at this very carefully and as strange as it seems there is a slight differential each side where the tailgate hinges are secured to the roof/body. This is a factory connection as its clear the bolts have never been touched. Its not the actual tailgate its the hinge location left/right in relation to the rear opening. I have to say I look at every other e class estate when I'm driving behind them and lots seem to have similar issues. So maybe the build from the factory isn't always as good as we would like! That said there must be a way to adjust.

How did you get on with this Simon? I have a similar issue - just needs to move to the left about 4 or 5mm. Cheers!

Hi All

Does anyone know if there is a method of adjusting the tailgate hinges on S211 Estate?

The tailgate on my car never seemed to sit right in the body opening when closed. I did a bit of adjustment myself where the actual hinges bolt onto the tailgate which made it a bit better but basically the whole tailgate needs shifting over a few mm so it sits centrally. I also previously made it sit much better in its locked position by adjusting the lock keep plate so that the force of the electric lock pulled it over. My lock failed a few days ago and I think the failure was probably a lot to do with the strain applied by pulling the tailgate over as such. I have just fitted a new replacement lock (All £287 worth!!!!). Fitting the lock was easy and saved me over £200 for MB to do it but I don't want the new lock having to take as much strain and would like to adjust the tailgate, which would solve it for good.

There is a single bolt visible that attaches each hinge to the car roof. I partially undid both bolts but can't get the taligate to shift at all. I found a pic on ebay of someone selling some secondhand hinges and it appears there are 2 lugs that protrude out of the back of the hinge. The picture is not very clear and these lugs could even be threaded. There isn't room to feel around the back to determine what's going on and I think its double skinned anyway. I would have thought there must be some form of adjustment. The only other thing I can think of is to remove the headlining which isn't an attractive option especially if it makes no difference! I removed the rear roof mounted speaker to see if I could see anything but no joy.

So has anyone done such a job and can shed some light, hopefully I'm just being a bit dense!!??

Thanks
I have some instructions somewhere - if you pm me an email address I'll scan/send them to you over the w/e.
I'm having the same problem. The gate is gradually drifting to the right and now the lid is rubbing the body. If anyone has the instructions for the adjustment, I'd love the assistance. I took speakers out and looked but no clues. Thank you.

Hello sir,

Do you still have those instructions ? I have the same problem on my E350 Estate 2014 Not equal on both sides and water is seeping in !

How did you get on with this Simon? I have a similar issue - just needs to move to the left about 4 or 5mm. Cheers!

The original post goes back to 2013 so you may be better sending a pm if indeed the op is still a forum active member.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm having the same problem. The gate is gradually drifting to the right and now the lid is rubbing the body. If anyone has the instructions for the adjustment, I'd love the assistance. I took speakers out and looked but no clues. Thank you.

Does anybody still have those instructions ???? MAny thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom