Adjusting track rods to straighten steering wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lfckeeper

Car
Bmw 5 series (Former W203 C class and 2x W219 CLS owner)
Hi all

My understanding is that after a wheel alignment, if the steering wheel is not straight, adjusting the track rods by the same amount both sides will straighten the steering wheel (so long as its on tarmac not on turning plates on the alignment machine)

Is this definitely correct?

im being told by the guys doing hunter alignment this is not correct and would knock the alignment out.

I always do it that way , depending on how far the wheel is off the square.

When the chap did my alignment a few weeks ago , also on a Hunter m/c, set the wheel straight before starting the alignment process so no requirement for me to adjust the wheel position.

If you move one TRE in and the other out by the same amount to square up the wheel then the actual "tracking" dimension is not moving , it is only the relative position of the wheel that is IMHO.

Kenny

I always do it that way , depending on how far the wheel is off the square.

When the chap did my alignment a few weeks ago , also on a Hunter m/c, set the wheel straight before starting the alignment process so no requirement for me to adjust the wheel position.

If you move one TRE in and the other out by the same amount to square up the wheel then the actual "tracking" dimension is not moving , it is only the relative position of the wheel that is IMHO.

Kenny

Thats exactly what i thought

As some have mentioned previously , just because the business has an all singing all dancing alignment machine it is still down to the operator , and his abilities, at the end of the day.

I went to a few local places and none of them inspired confidence when i was questioning them about the alignment and how to correct it on a MB by using the eccentric bolts should it be required.

It was a 60 mile round trip for me to get mine done , a bit of a PITA but worth it safe in the knowledge that it was done correctly.

Kenny

As some have mentioned previously , just because the business has an all singing all dancing alignment machine it is still down to the operator , and his abilities, at the end of the day.

I went to a few local places and none of them inspired confidence when i was questioning them about the alignment and how to correct it on a MB by using the eccentric bolts should it be required.

It was a 60 mile round trip for me to get mine done , a bit of a PITA but worth it safe in the knowledge that it was done correctly.

Kenny

Ill be going to WIM when I get the chance (ill disguise the need to travel so far by treating Mrs Lfckeeper to a night in London) to get it fully set up.

When I told him just to adjust the track rods to straighten the steering wheel he looked at me like I'd slept with his wife ...

Kenny
Where did you go Kenny ?

Where did you go Kenny ?

Ended up going to Pro Grip in Larbert , the chap did a thorough check of all suspension components prior to carrying out any work , he found play in the offside TRE balljoint which meant there was no point in doing the alignment until that was replaced. So a return visit was scheduled and alignment done and was not charged for my first visit.

I went to a few local places , one in Clydebank , and didnt feel confident as some of the boys answers to my questions were a tad vague. Whether he would have been doing the work i dont know but i just didnt fancy it.

Kenny

Ended up going to Pro Grip in Larbert , the chap did a thorough check of all suspension components prior to carrying out any work , he found play in the offside TRE balljoint which meant there was no point in doing the alignment until that was replaced. So a return visit was scheduled and alignment done and was not charged for my first visit.

Kenny

The best imo. Got the 107 done there a month ago and he transformed the car.

Ill be going to WIM when I get the chance (ill disguise the need to travel so far by treating Mrs Lfckeeper to a night in London) to get it fully set up.

When I told him just to adjust the track rods to straighten the steering wheel he looked at me like I'd slept with his wife ...
That's odd...after I slept with his wife he looked at me as if I asked him to align the wheels on my car.

What a strange fellow he is.

Tony Bones' wife died of cancer a few years ago. You were not to know, but please avoid these jokes. Thank you.

Tony Bones' wife died of cancer a few years ago. You were not to know, but please avoid these jokes. Thank you.

To clarify I was talking about the guy near me ... apologies for any offence, I hope it goes without saying it was completely unintentional if I have caused any

This is a problem after taking the car to these quick job garages .Reason is the steering wheel must be locked in the straight a head position . Then all the work is done equal on each side . If its done on one side more than the other, it puts canceling of the turn signal out ,and then wont cancel or stay on in the right position on turning .They will want to cancel instead of stoping on .Like the left or right turns you indicators wont cancel.

This is a problem after taking the car to these quick job garages .Reason is the steering wheel must be locked in the straight a head position . Then all the work is done equal on each side . If its done on one side more than the other, it puts canceling of the turn signal out ,and then wont cancel or stay on in the right position on turning .They will want to cancel instead of stoping on .Like the left or right turns you indicators wont cancel.

I think the problem sonetimes comes from what i think is centre is not the same as the tech. Also whats dead straight stationary may differ from dead straight when the car is on the move dealing with various forces, hence my wanting just minor track rod adjustments

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom