Admin charge from insurance broker re:number plate change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
Having succumb to a private plate, I called A Plan today to tell them that the registration number on my Boxster had been changed to the private plate.

Lady on the phone wanted to charge £15.75 admin fee. I asked to speak to manager (who I know quite well). Phone on music for 15 seconds. She waives the charge on this ocassion only and only because she is in a good mood :)

Has anyone else experienced this kind of daylight robbery?

Everytime I change a car they charge a £25 admin fee.... So I changed company.

Most have some kind of charge (I expect there is a nice correltation between cheaper policies and higher admin charges)

I've changed reg numbers with both Tesco & Esure within the last year with no charge.

I've used A Plan a fair bit over the years.....found that they will do a lot to keep your business. Just say no....:eek: :D

Everytime I change car, I get charged £25.. and everytime I complain they say, oh.. we'll wave it by this time.. I did it 5 times in 12 months..

I've just renewed my insurance (on the 14th) & asked them if there is a charge for changing my registration plate (as I had just bought a cherished plate) & was told that if it's within 14 days of renewal its free but after that I will have a £12 or so admin charge.:crazy:

My plate transfer has been held up due to the previous owner dragging his heels & the 14 days ends today:( . Having spoke to the guy I've bought the plate from today, he claims to have sent me my documents on wed by recorded delivery so should have them by tomorrow:) .

If my insurer's want the admin charge for being 1 day over the 14day limit I can see me making a proper fuss and not being happy.:eek:

I changed my number plates on two cars, both times not been charged an admin fee, £25 to shuffle paper? I don't think so! :D

I changed my number plates on two cars, both times not been charged an admin fee, £25 to shuffle paper? I don't think so! :D

they don't even shuffle paper, it's just some keyboard work!

I've had this charge once, can't remember the broker / insurer it was a 'free' VW insurance policy that I got when I had my Vento.

Never came across it before but they wouldn't budge at the time. Does seem unfair... Not been charged it since and I've been with a number of insurers and have done alot of plate transfers.

Funny you should mention this, I called my insurance up yesterday (More Than - they were the cheapest at renewal time...) and was worried that there would be an admin charge.

The lady on the phone was very helpful, and told me I'd get my new documents in a few days, no charge! (and I have 6 months left on my policy).

Quite happy really!
M.

There are two ways of looking at admin charges:

1) There is no such thing as a free lunch and they are keeping the charges down for people who don't change/modify their policy other than at renewal.

2) They are money grabbing at every opportunity.

I suppose if one policy was say £75.00 cheaper than another but they charged £15 admin, then still a net saving of £60.00.

A difficult one to call with out knowing details that only the company themselves will know.

What they should be is up front about fees at the time the policy is taken.

Mike

Yep - one insurer charged £30 for change of number plate. Rip off IMHO. Maybe 10 minutes paperwork - so £5 would be fair.

My ML is with SwiftCover.com - change of plate, no charge at all. New Certificate same day by email, no charge for that either. Guess who will get the others at renewal.....

Tesco didn't charge me anything, don't think it's Tesco "value" insurance but it's certainly not "Finest" ;)

I was with Norwich Union a while ago, and being a nice citizen, decided rather than not tell them, to ring them and cancel my policy over the phone. (not at end of year). However, was told I would have to pay up to £52 admin/cancellation fee. And my fee? £52. Disgusted! More than one month's insurance! Not best pleased.

Anyway, if I had just cancelled payment by Direct Debit, they would automatically just cancel my insure for a big fat £0. Not gone with them since, and next time I'll just cancel my payments!

Was it Aplan themselves who wanted to charge the £15? or the insurance firm they found you?

Just got my new documents today with my new registration.:cool:
Rang my insurance, all details changed & he says "there will be a £14 admin charge".:eek:
I told him what the previous person had said, he checked & she had made a note on the screen.:rolleyes:
Charge waived:D

I think they charge "Admin Charge" because their admins need "tips".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom