"Admin fee on all transactions"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
It seems a little odd when the trader is selling a £200k car new, for £70k but still trying to sting the customer for more.

It's obviously the buyer's choice whether they buy a car from these kind of traders but has anyone here bought from such a trader?

I'd be highly suspicious of a £200k car offered for £70k! Need a bit more detail!

It seems a little odd when the trader is selling a £200k car new, for £70k but still trying to sting the customer for more.

It's obviously the buyer's choice whether they buy a car from these kind of traders but has anyone here bought from such a trader?

Yea -

negotiated a price

They then brought up the fee (I hadn’t noticed in the autotrader description)

I said I’m not paying any fee....

They said let me speak to the boss!

Boss said I need to pay it because of postage for v5 etc.

I say no, we can do the V5 online right now for free... I’ll pay the original negotiated price or go elsewhere.

I got the car!

I'd be highly suspicious of a £200k car offered for £70k! Need a bit more detail!

It seems legit - S65 AMG in black on AT but this isn't really the point though.

I took that as an example but I am talking more in general ; the fact an admin fee is added to any car is irritating!

Yea -

negotiated a price

I say no, we can do the V5 online right now for free... I’ll pay the original negotiated price or go elsewhere.

I got the car!

This would be my stance.

No fee or no deal!

Yea -

negotiated a price

I got the car!

Good on you!

I have seen these so called admin fees. If they get two mugs out of 10, they are doing quite nicely.
I think the seller preys on the buyer being exited as the deal for the car closes and hopes the admin fee will be willingly paid.

I have seen dealers that make the admin fee known on their website/adverts and it puts me right off.

If I was asked to pay the fee, I would tell them to stuff it.
If they came back and said they would waive the fee, depending on what sort of mood I was in, I may well still tell them to sod off.

Another off-putting thing, is dealerships that show images of their showrooms with Coffee and vending machines and crystal globes full of sweeties.
What can that be all about?

Another off-putting thing, is dealerships that show images of their showrooms with Coffee and vending machines and crystal globes full of sweeties.
Hmm "come and visit us we have plenty of coffee, snacks and sweeties to enjoy while we keep you waiting"?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Testing that the public really have forgotten that there's no such thing as a free lunch, coffee, sweetie, etc.

I’ve also noticed that the majority of (trader) ads on Autotrader talk more about easy “drive away inside an hour” finance rather than the spec and history of the car.

Go for it John. We'll chip in to cover the £90 admin fee to see you behind another AMG again. We need heavy footed enthusiasts in our midsts to carry the AMG flag forward.

:D

I’ve never worried too much about how a dealer likes to come up their prices, but judge each car on its own merit.

In other words, whether on not they charge an ‘admin fee’ is far less important than the quality of the car and the overall price. A nice car priced competitively would be obviously be a far better buy with this fee than a poorer example that is priced less competitively with no fees.

A local MB main dealer I bought from charge £39 for this, but they allowed me to pay £10k via AMEX after we had agreed a final price (which I wasn’t expecting!) which netted me £100 in cashback. Aside from that in my opinion the car was well priced to begin with and I negotiated a small discount too. Swings and roundabouts really :)

£90 to lick a stamp... and even they are self adhesive these days.... I'm definitely in the wrong line of work.

If the fee is £90 on a £70k purchase then that’s about 0.12% of the price??? I’d be more worried if the car should be £70k or not.

Is it really that much different from dealer separating out certain fees as if they are optional

"delivery fee"
"no here, I'll pay the price of the car, but now you want me to pay a separate fee for you to be able to hand it over to me ?"

or indeed separating out "on the road costs"
"heres all the money you asked for, but I don't actually want to ever put the car on the road, I just like the notion of having bought a new car"

understand that parts of these fees are different in different parts of the world, but clearly if there was even the slightest inclination to not separate out these fees, they would do so.

It's like pricing a car here in the UK, and then having a separate fee listed for supplying a version to drive on the left hand side of the road.

Not an admin fee as such but when I bought mine I paid partly debit and partly credit card. The debit card wasn't a problem but they wanted a £250 fee for processing the credit card! It was not stated anywhere and before I set off to pick the car up I asked about credit card and I was told it's fine, no fees mentioned. I kicked up a fuss and eventually they agreed to charge circa 2% which is what they get charged. Naughty.

They can’t charge a fee for credit cards anymore.

Go for it John. We'll chip in to cover the £90 admin fee to see you behind another AMG again. We need heavy footed enthusiasts in our midsts to carry the AMG flag forward.

:D

:p

And only £70k...

I can't pretend I don't like it though.

However, the S63 for me is the one to go for...

I've got 85 quid and that's a start.

All of this reminds me of booking fees when buying concert tickets, never understood how they get away with that one either?

Why do we pay a service charge when paying for parking online? Because the council saved all this money by no longer employing dozens of people to go around and collect coins from meters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom