Administration Fees on used car sales. What are your thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Perhaps not but I believe it costs more to use the internal lavatories 😁
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Purchased two tickets for a concert , next year , at the Hydro.

£15 per ticket booking fee + £2.75 per ticket for a handling charge even though they were E - tickets. :rolleyes: , multiply those "fees" for every ticket for every concert then you have made yourself a tidy bit of ££ on the side , you would think the amount we were charged for the tickets then at least they would include all extras.

We were stung for a £50 "service" charge at the Shard a few years ago , wouldn`t have minded too much if the food was decent , nice view though.

Just another way to squeeze a few ££ out of the customers , as per the "admin" charge when buying a car.

K

Last edited:
That’s only admirable if you aren’t just cutting your nose off.

I certainly wouldn’t be missing out on the ideal spec’d car for the sake of £199.

It would be a fairly unlikely event that that there would only be one ideally spec'd car in the market place and it just happened to be at the dealership that charged £199 admin fee surely. ;)

Purchased two tickets for a concert , next year , at the Hydro.

£15 per ticket booking fee + £2.75 per ticket for a handling charge even though they were E - tickets. :rolleyes: , multiply those "fees" for every ticket for every concert then you have made yourself a tidy bit of ££ on the side , you would think the amount we were charged for the tickets then at least they would include all extras.

We were stung for a £50 "service" charge at the Shard a few years ago , wouldn`t have minded too much if the food was decent , nice view though.

Just another way to squeeze a few ££ out of the customers , as per the "admin" charge when buying a car.

K
(Who you going to see Kenny?)

It would be a fairly unlikely event that that there would only be one ideally spec'd car in the market place and it just happened to be at the dealership that charged £199 admin fee surely. ;)
Depends on how keen you are on the perfect spec. 🥳

(Who you going to see Kenny?)
Queen + Adam Lambert.

We saw them at Transmt a few years back and they were excellent plus Alabama 3 and Texas were the support acts which kind of softened the financial hit as it was worth the £120 for the VIP tickets but the same VIP ticket prices for the Hydro are a pi$$ take at almost £400 each , even standing tickets were nearly £200 as it included a one night hotel stay.

K

Depends on how keen you are on the perfect spec. 🥳

I was particularly fussy on spec when I bought mine, it took me six months to find it. Fortunately the Dealer that held the car had no hidden charges and delivered it free of charge 150 miles. I was a happy chappy :D

Evans Halshaw tried that on with me when I was looking for a used Kia Sportage for my daughter. I told the salesman that car dealers never used to charge an administration fee and that I would not accept it. When he resisted, we just got up and walked away. We then went to Inchcape VW in Stockport and bought a used Peugeot 3008. They couldn't have been more helpful - no sharp practice add-ons, beautifully prepared car on collection including their standard hand-over procedure in a dedicated 'showroom' even though it was not a VW. I agree with others above, admin fees are just a sneaky way of maximising profit just like Ryan Air with their seat prices - I never fly Ryan Air either.
My Daughter used to work for Evans Halshaw in car sales, you don't want to know what goes on there!

That’s only admirable if you aren’t just cutting your nose off.

I certainly wouldn’t be missing out on the ideal spec’d car for the sake of £199.
Ant.

Hi

I take your point but there are always other cars.

We have three cars currently so it is
not a case of need and I find this rather grubby little practice to be an attempt to extract more money whilst trying to dress it up as something else.
My Daughter used to work for Evans Halshaw in car sales, you don't want to know what goes on there!
Do tell...

I was particularly fussy on spec when I bought mine, it took me six months to find it. Fortunately the Dealer that held the car had no hidden charges and delivered it free of charge 150 miles. I was a happy chappy :D
And that’s my point. You searched for 6 months for that spec. (I searched for 4 months). Had the seller added £199 admin free I’m sure you’d have paid it to get that car. I certainly would.

Going against the grain here.... but I have no issue with 'admin fee', as long as it's clearly displayed and potential buyers know about it before they invest any more time on the advert (or at the forecourt).

As far as I am concerned, sellers can price their goods whichever way they like, and this includes traders selling second hand cars - as long as the cost is clearly displayed.

I suspect that the afdmin prices on used cars serve three purposes. 1) Reduce the sticker headline privce 2) provide an element on the price that can be held separately during any discount negotiaton 3) or provide an element of the price that can if necessary be capitulated on durig a discount negotiation while holding the sticker price.

Car Giant in London do not discount their windscreen sticker prices, and do not wave the admin fee (in line with most other so-called 'car supermarkets'), so in this case the only explanation left is the first option you mentioned: reduce the sticker headline price.

EDIT: possibly the admin fee is an element of the price that isn't refunded if the car is rejected? But them presumably very few cars get rejected.

We were there last month,
£7.50 for a liddle bottle of Guinness,
£62 for a cheapo (elsewhere) bottle of wine.
I agree about the view, but getting old I wished the piano player could turn it down so we could talk.

I can't decide if heated bog seats were totally necessary while sat looking down at London.

To digress lots (but it is a motoring forum),
as we left an Aston pulled in with it's burbling 12 cylinders.
"Is that diesel?" Asks Mrs Me,
"I'll let you ask him". Says I.

Going against the grain here.... but I have no issue with 'admin fee', as long as it's clearly displayed and potential buyers know about it before they invest any more time on the advert (or at the forecourt).

As far as I am concerned, sellers can price their goods whichever way they like, and this includes traders selling second hand cars - as long as the cost is clearly displayed.
Not against the grain as such and good point well made but why just (seemingly) car dealers?

We bought a new Fridge /freezer from John Lewis recently.

There was no separate charge to deliver it, unpackage it, bring it in to the house, position it and remove the packing materials.

All of this was factored in to the price.

I cannot see that a car dealer is being more open regarding pricing by these methods plus the range of these "costs" is too wide to really reflect the costs supposedly covered.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
That's what I was thinking of!

Not against the grain as such and good point well made but why just (seemingly) car dealers?

We bought a new Fridge /freezer from John Lewis recently.

There was no separate charge to deliver it, unpackage it, bring it in to the house, position it and remove the packing materials.

All of this was factored in to the price.

I cannot see that a car dealer is being more open regarding pricing by these methods plus the range of these "costs" is too wide to really reflect the costs supposedly covered.
Curry’s charge.

I don’t object to admin fees, Motorpoint charge them but I always negotiate more than the fee off the price or increase the part ex, they never waive the fee but I never feel like I’ve actually paid it.

Frankly, I’m more bothered about the rubbish part ex prices that dealers offer. You would have thought that by now they could have found a more pleasant way to do business, not smoke and mirrors as such just a better way to present the deal which doesn’t make customers feel stitched up.

Oh yes we do! :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom