Adoption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEdu

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320CDi Estate - gone E320CDi Saloon - written off CLS 350CDi Coupé
Took on 18 more rescue hens today. They came from Essex and have spent their existence in cages.
20210425_104019.jpg

We gave up buying supermarket eggs a few years ago when I realised we could buy free range from the farm gate for about 20p/dozen more than our then normal "Big and fresh" eggs (and much cheaper than supermarket free range), the eggs are so much better, really orange yolks - and our supplier also often has duck eggs which I love!

I believe their feathers grow back quickly if well looked after?
Not quickly, but eventually. They take several months to come back. What people don't tend to see is how their beaks are trimmed to minimise damage to each other whilst caged!

Well done! Let this be an eye opener as to why eggs are cheap in supermarkets!!!

The real horror story starts earlier.
Only female chickens have significant commercial value. Males don’t fatten fast enough for food and obviously don’t lay eggs. But the gender is unknown until the eggs are hatched. When they are, the males are ground up for reptile food just to get some return on them. They go into the grinder still alive.

Equally, 'veal' is mostly male calves - not worth keeping them for long, they consume food and don't give any milk.......

At least veal these days is pink rather than white as veal cages are banned so they do get some exercise and normal type life before slaughter! We're partial to veal escalopes,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom