Adrian Flux - Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

I have been with Adrian Flux for many happy years on all of my cars. This includes a C55 Estate, 3.5 V6 Pajero and Uber Rare Agreed Valuation W124 4-Matic Estate.

Up until now I also had BMW 528i Estate insured with them. Now I have asked them to insure a BMW X5. This is 2005 car and does NOT have Keyless Go, but does have a factory alarm/immobiliser.

They have refused to insure, unless I have a tracker fitted? They will not budge on this.

If they move insurers then they say my premium 'without a tracker' would rocket, by over two thirds, making the car not financially viable to me.

What to do? I have paid a deposit on the car and want to have it. How expensive is a tracker to install?

There are two main types: (1) one which continually sends details of position, speed, etc, and (2) one which doesn't transmit until you notice the car's gone, and (you or the company) send a signal to it.

I'm familiar with (1) from the motorhome hire place where I help out (and they're brilliant!), but you buy the unit, and then pay a continuing charge to run it.

(2) seem to be typically £200, including fitting. I don't know about continuing charges. Several firms offering, if you search on "fitting trackers".

Insure with someone else, plenty of choice.

Insure with someone else, plenty of choice.

Well worth investigating.

Personally I wouldn't touch Flux due to bad experiences too many friends have had with them.

No insurer is perfect mind.

Just had a Scorpion Tracker fitted to the CL by Comand £ 350.00 + £390.00 for the duration of the ownership. I wasn't asked by the insurance just piece of mind.

Okay. I just got off he phone with AF (again).

* It is not AF that are insisting on the Tracker. It is their insurer.
* They can find other insurers who do not insist on a tracker. That puts the premium up by a massive amount (£700+)

AF cannot do anything further to help (and they do say they want to).

All the Insuere states is that "All BMW X5's" must have a tracker fitted. I asked specifically "what tracker" and have been told "a tracker". I have asked for this in writing.

So would we assume that by "a tracker" I could buy a £20 ebay tracker and install it myself? AF said "why not" it is a tracker. As long as you can show it has been fitted and it is working? Then that is fine..

What say the panel?

"As long as you can show it has been fitted and it is working?"

I think that captures it: if it's working, what's not to like?

Direct Line insisted on a tracker with the CLS55, point blank refuse to cover without one fitted.

Got Comand to fit a Tracker Monitor (I think) about £250. Direct Line wanted a copy of the installation certificate as evidence.

If you really want the car get it and fit the tracker, cheaper than changing insurers

I would be careful here. When an Insurer requires a tracker they sometimes mean a Thatcham category 5 one . I certainly would not base a purchase on what some call centre jockey in a brokers office says you can do. The original Tracker company cat 5 costs about £700 to install and £200 ish pa subs. Hastings Direct panel Insurers did not require a tracker to be fitted to my CL65 but I guess X5's are more desirable to the light fingered. I hate the whole system but admit that going on a price comparison site might be useful here.

It will most likely need to be a Thatcham approved tracker for insurance purposes and they will want to see the installation certificate from a manufacturer approved fitter.

There is Category 7 which is the cheaper option (usually in the £250+ bracket for the one off fee through to the Category 5 which is in the £700+ for one off fees range. You then usually have to add the yearly fee to that.

The link I put in the first post has £100 off of each category at the moment. I would ask for the exact minimum category which is acceptable to the underwriter to be sure you are getting the right thing.

Either way it is likely to have a significant bill this year, as much as not having it if the Cat 5 is the one you have to have. So I guess it depends on how long you plan to have the car.

Another question, does it not already have one fitted that you just need to take up the subscription on?

Have you tried there "modified policy"? They wouldn't touch any of my cars unless I declared modifications. Worth a shot!

From AF in writing this afternoon? My BOLD & Italics

"The policy is subject to the vehicle being fitted with Thatcham category one alarm and immobiliser and a 24hr monitoring tracker"

So what is a 24hr monitoring tracker?

"The policy is subject to the vehicle being fitted with Thatcham category one alarm and immobiliser and a 24hr monitoring tracker"

A category 7 device can be a 24/7 monitoring tracker, category 5 has more ways of tracking.

The Tracker Monitor option on https://www.trackerdirect.co.uk/

Currently £261 upfront + one of
12 Month Subscription (+£169.00)
24 Month Subscription (+£299.00)
36 Month Subscription (+£389.00)
48 Month Subscription (+£479.00)
60 Month Subscription (+£569.00)

I would validate that with the Insurer though and get written evidence that it is acceptable and that you do not need the Category 5 version.

Location of vehicle is monitored 24 hours a day. If you go on the Tracker website it explains what you get for Category 5, 6 and 7.

oldguy57 said:
Location of vehicle is monitored 24 hours a day. If you go on the Tracker website it explains what you get for Category 5, 6 and 7.

I'm being really thick here. I still do not understand what I am being asked to install?

Am I being asked for:

A tracker device that is monitored by a company (not me on an app) 24x7?

This seems excessive with little or no evidence that it stops theft. How do I know my insurer is not running the monitoring company?

None of this applies to any of my other cars including a rare C55 estate.

<CSIHelper: 0xa92e650>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom