ADSL wireless modem/router

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abbs985uk

Just treated myself to a laptop and was wondering what recommendations you guys have with a view to setting up a wireless internet connection.

I have a PC upstairs and will be using the laptop downstairs. PC already has a wireless network card. (not in use at the moment)

Seen some Netgear Modems/routers which seem decent but what about belkin products?

Any model numbers or pointers to good deals?

Many thanks and have a great new year!

We had a brief chat about this a few weeks ago in this thread

As with any forum you'll get a lot of recommendations from people with personal experience.

I ended up buying a DLink for my house, which was fantastic, and some Netgear's for my business, which were a doddle to set up. As recommended by one person, if you are looking to buy from PCWorld then you should check the online price first, as you might find it cheaper (like i did) and then reserved it to pick it up instore.. saving a packet!

With the sales now on it might be worth checking out who is doing what at which price. If i remember rightly, Dixons have got a deal on at the moment for a modem/router for less than £60.. can't be bad!

Hope that helps

:D I just bought a wireless adsl modem router for £9.00 brand new from PC World.

I think (or know) that they made a mistake at the till - trainee on the till!! :devil: :bannana: :devil:

I'm on it now and it is great!! Top speed router with 4 lan (ethernet) ports as well !

Last edited:
splang said:
belkin has been a good make in my experience.

I had a Belkin at home but found the DLink to have much better reception in comparison. Have the Modem/Router located in the office in the attic, and can even get reception in the driveway! Barely got past the front door with the Belkin.

Thats my personal experience, but maybe others have had better results :)

I had a Netgear and now have a BT Voyager ...... at the end of the day it's 6 and one half-dozen.

Generally speaking they all do the same job to more or less the same ability, and I think it ultimately comes down to price and looks as opposed to functions.

K

I have a netgear router and seperate ADSL modem both hook together okay... Belkin were always a pain though have finally updated their drivers which solved a lot of encryption issues... as you can now use WPA- TKIP which is very difficult to break, you should also set your router not to broadcast your SSID for stealth... they are pretty secure now! Look at www.dabs.com for some excellent deals!

Thanks for all the responses guys. Settled on a Netgear DG834PN from DSL Warehouse.

Seems to have a good spec and relatively future proof if there is such a thing!

Will let u know how it goes when it arrives and I have a bash at deciphering it!

I would check that the router you pick is on the recommended list of your internet provider. If not, you will have problems getting help if you need it.

PC World, probably overpriced but probably worth it as you an take the stuff back and ask loads of questions.

Abbs985uk said:
Thanks for all the responses guys. Settled on a Netgear DG834PN from DSL Warehouse.

Seems to have a good spec and relatively future proof if there is such a thing!

Will let u know how it goes when it arrives and I have a bash at deciphering it!

I've just bought the DG834PN myself, had it running a about a week now and its been excellent. However, I notice that reception is a little iffy if it its taken to its maximum speed of 108Mbps. Running in b & g mode (11Mbps & 54Mbbps) the range is much better than my previous (Dlink 624+) thanks to the MIMO which actually takes advantage of the signal reflections within the environment to get 'around' interference sources such as cordless phones and microwaves.

The only device I've had a problem connecting to it is my PDA (which uses a 11Mbps SanDisk CF Card) Sometimes it happily connects and other times it just doesn't want to know . . a little more experimenting with other wireless cards should show which one is causing the problem (I suspect the SanDisk Card)

All in all its an excellent product, coming from the Dlink I can see thats its a lot easier to setup, but at the same time there are a few features which I had on the old Dlink, that the Netgear doesn't have. Mainly more comprehensive MAC filtering and more control over the firewall.
Although the netgear provides an excellent and intuitive way to navigate and configure the router.

Wow this is sounding so much like a review . . so I'll stop now :rolleyes:
just thought I'd throw in my £0.02 . .

have had mine for a few days now.. Seems to work fine all over the house though do occasionally get the "page not available" when browsing the net. I also settled for the b & g option as the 108mbs was in my view causing the "page not available".

So far its been good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom