Advantages of throttle body cleaning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BillyW124

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E320 coupe, W211 E320 V6 CDI, W211 E63 V8 AMG, R129 SL 280 V6, W215 CL 600 V12 Bi Turbo.
Alright Members,

Can anyone tell me the advantages reaped from cleaning my throttle body?

What improvemnet signs should i expect to see once this is done?

All the cars I have done this on have benifited from smoother idle and more responsive throttle control at low rpms ie manouvering speeds

Lynall

All the cars I have done this on have benifited from smoother idle and more responsive throttle control at low rpms ie manouvering speeds

Lynall

Good to see you :bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana:

Thanks nice to be remembered :thumb:
I'm still playing with old landrovers:doh:

Lynall

Welcome back! :)

Alright Members,

Can anyone tell me the advantages reaped from cleaning my throttle body?

What improvemnet signs should i expect to see once this is done?

Sticking throttle butterfly on my W203 caused the engine management light to activate, cleaning all the sticky black gunge out of the throttle housing enabled the butterfly to close correctly.

...i had my car serviced yesterday and had the throttle body cleaned. Its made a noticeable difference in smoother acceleration and i'm not geting the minimal 'jerk' I used to get now and again when stopping at lights or a junction :) Idle is nice a steady too.

ill keep an eye out for fuel consumption to see if it might improve.

new power steering filter and new steering oil was added, this also has made a world of difference, steering is feeling really smooth whilst locking/parking.

I get a Grunt sound coming from the bottom right hand side when i start up(worst when cold) my mechanic diagnosed this as one of the bolts in the exaust manifold has snapped :crazy: leaving it with a sort of gap. When throttling it u can hear it blowing with a clunky sound. Once engine is warm u can still hear it blowing but no way near as upon start up and the clunking gets a lot quieter and hardly noticeable. i guess as the manifold heats up it expands and probably seals up better then when cold??

as i'm assuming there is a constant pressure in that manifold area how important or urgent is this to fix. i would say this has been going on for a year.

Last edited:
Thanks nice to be remembered :thumb:
I'm still playing with old landrovers:doh:

Lynall

Hey Lynall!

Good to see you back. I've missed your contributions.

Best Regards,

Paul.

Better idle, eliminates problem of sticking throttle butterfly which improves fuel economy. Is there a link somewhere on this forum on how to do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom