Adverts that make me fill up now I have kids...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cracking ad - they do have some really good people doing their stuff.

There is something quite special about the relationship between fathers and daughters...

That is FOR SURE!!!

Cracking ad - they do have some really good people doing their stuff.

One more ad preying on people's fears. The advertising equivalent of the Daily Mail.
An ad selling a product on its merits would be a worthy ad not that cheap (but undoubtedly over priced) fearmongering, materialist propogandist trash.

Last edited:
One more ad preying on people's fears. The advertising equivalent of the Daily Mail.
An ad selling a product on its merits would be a worthy ad not that cheap (but undoubtedly over priced) fearmongering, materialist propogandist trash.

It would not have convinced me...any car is more dangerous than no car.

Our little darling is 14.

We're counting the days.............

I had a car when I was at Uni more than 35 years ago. But, none of my three daughters had one.

Do students really need a car? Surely most of their life is spent on campus, or going into town to carouse.

I think it's different in America where universities tend to be plonked in the middle of nowhere, and the places students visit tend to have "parking lots" outside.

But it's specifically the notion of a father buying a cheap new car for his daughter as a "going to university" present that seems to be an American trend.

Forget all the glossy advert stuff--- this is parenting at the sharp end guaranteed to melt your heart .[YOUTUBE]mEjdVY-k_ac&feature=fvwrel[/YOUTUBE]

Forget all the glossy advert stuff--- this is parenting at the sharp end guaranteed to melt your heart.

I don't get Amercians. Why would you a) cut your daughter's head open; b) film her having her stitches removed c) post the footage on YouTube; d) then cut her chin open and do it all again. :confused:

And what language is the girl speaking?

PS: My heart didn't melt; so much for the guarantee...

First little kids are always bashing themselves against sharp objects. Second most families video their kids doing almost anything just to record the memory- the kids are used to it when they are little they accept it as a normal everyday thing--- I would guess this is the psychology behind the whole thing -- distraction :thumb:---- get the child to focus on anything other than her immediate predicament--- which can reduce even grown men to quivering jellies! Seemed to work---and anything that works in these circumstances is a good thing believe me. Why you would then post it on You Tube afterwards ?I don't know a bit puzzling that one :confused: but possibly from an overwhelming sense of relief ?

Why you would then post it on You Tube afterwards ?I don't know a bit puzzling that one :confused: but possibly from an overwhelming sense of relief ?

Or perhaps in the hope that it will go viral and he can make a bit of money out of his beloved child. Isn't that why people put these things on YouTube in the first place? Or perhaps the guy just happens to have 200,000 close friends and family members with a genuine interest in his daughter's welfare. Sorry if I sound cynical (and I know I do), but this all smacks of exploitation.

I know childhood injuries are fairly commonplace - my brother managed to split his chin open in a swimming pool when he was young, and I was knocked off my bike once, dislocating my arm. These incidents became part of our family lore (which is how I became aware of my brother's injury, as I wasn't born when it happened), but there is no record of them in my parents' photo albums or cine films. I'd imagine their first thought was to get us treated - not to record the moment for posterity.

I also find the caption used rather distasteful: "Elliot has her stitches removed. Elliot had more stitches added to her chin here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sFm1W4FJ8A". Follow that link, and we learn that "This is Elliot's stitches numbers 18-26. She had 9 stitches a few days before and popped them all when she fell *again*." If I were a parent I would not be bragging about having an "accident" prone child, lest I attract the attention of social services. Perhaps she'd be better off if they spent a bit more time looking after her and a bit less sticking the aftermath on YouTube...

And I still can't understand a word the kid is saying. She talks like a baby, yet she must be at least 4 or 5. :confused:

Last edited:
I'm surprised they used stitches on the child's face...there is a better way.

Or perhaps in the hope that it will go viral and he can make a bit of money out of his beloved child. Isn't that why people put these things on YouTube in the first place? Or perhaps the guy just happens to have 200,000 close friends and family members with a genuine interest in his daughter's welfare. Sorry if I sound cynical (and I know I do), but this all smacks of exploitation.

I know childhood injuries are fairly commonplace - my brother managed to split his chin open in a swimming pool when he was young, and I was knocked off my bike once, dislocating my arm. These incidents became part of our family lore (which is how I became aware of my brother's injury, as I wasn't born when it happened), but there is no record of them in my parents' photo albums or cine films. I'd imagine their first thought was to get us treated - not to record the moment for posterity.

I also find the caption used rather distasteful: "Elliot has her stitches removed. Elliot had more stitches added to her chin here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sFm1W4FJ8A". Follow that link, and we learn that "This is Elliot's stitches numbers 18-26. She had 9 stitches a few days before and popped them all when she fell *again*." If I were a parent I would not be bragging about having an "accident" prone child, lest I attract the attention of social services. Perhaps she'd be better off if they spent a bit more time looking after her and a bit less sticking the aftermath on YouTube...

And I still can't understand a word the kid is saying. She talks like a baby, yet she must be at least 4 or 5. :confused:

Since you mention cynicism and returning to the original post---- which is the more cynical? Some possibly misguided parent posting a video of their kid's stitches being removed [ and there was no mistaking the reality of the situation for the kid - no "acting " going on there --so an honest portrayal of events whatever the surrounding circumstances] or a huge corporation [ VAG] manipulating people's emotions in LA-LA land in an attempt to sell them more shiny cars. :dk:

ps that kid's never 4 or 5

pps renault12ts agree that there are probably better ways now in the UK to treat such injuries- butterfly bandages or superglue. Policy and subsequent treatment possibly dictated by American regressive health care insurance = you don't get the best treatment you get the most expensive but any subsequent litigation free treatment :wallbash:

There were better ways 45 years ago when my brother split his head open on a playground.

That's the point I was trying to make. The health care system in the states is so dominated by the insurance industry and all the litigation claims that sometimes your "insurance authorised " treatment is NOT best current clinical practice but the one least likely to generate a malpractice claim in the future should something go wrong! In the case in point I could see great "scarred for life" litigation potential in any deviation from an accepted but outmoded practice, and the kid has to suffer because of it! :dk:

which is the more cynical?

Well, marketing campaigns are by their very nature cynical, as they are designed at selling some - a product, a notion, a cause - regardless of what is actually being depicted. But the audience knows this, and can determine how they react to advertisements from an informed position.

I wonder what the parent is trying to "sell" by making this video public...

ps that kid's never 4 or 5

Well, she's no baby, so why the goo-goo-gaa-gaa?

I wonder what the parent is trying to "sell" by making this video public...

I doubt that they are trying to sell anything. I suspect they believe that people actually give a flying **** about their child rearing.

I doubt that they are trying to sell anything. I suspect they believe that people actually give a flying **** about their child rearing.

Some people are intensely private--- others like to share their life and emotions with others-- I reckon its as simple as that. :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom