Adverts that make me fill up now I have kids...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
others like to share their life and emotions with others--

To share is to give. What are they giving?
Is this constant documentation by video of everything any different from 'man with clipboard' writing everything down as though it actually matters?

To share is to give. What are they giving?
Is this constant documentation by video of everything any different from 'man with clipboard' writing everything down as though it actually matters?

Giving of themselves? Sharing a little fragment of their lives and emotions with others. Like developer215 sharing a YouTube video of his boy playing guitar-- because he's proud of him and his accomplishments. Probably the same feeling behind why the parents posted their video of Ellie. I guess its a form of modern self expressionism --- everyone can be a movie director now. You would have to ask why people paint pictures - even the now rich and famous artists will acknowledge their primary motivation when starting out was never to make money . A bit like most works of art--- you loath it or like it----- it speaks to you or says nothing----- take it or leave it--- the people who made it did for a reason- they decided to share it with others--- they might well like to know what others think--- but that's not why they made it.

One more ad preying on people's fears. The advertising equivalent of the Daily Mail.
An ad selling a product on its merits would be a worthy ad not that cheap (but undoubtedly over priced) fearmongering, materialist propogandist trash.

How does it pray on people's fears?

Remember this is brand advertising, not product advertising. All advertising is materialistic, all advertising is propaganda - and I'd argue that in today's world most advertising is fearmongering in that it promotes an "OMG I don;t have the latest..." in the audience at which it is targeted.

I liked the advert - it reminded me of the relationship I have with my daughter, and that one day I'll miss having her around. Won't make me buy a VW, any more than "If only everything in life..." did, "Nichole?" makes me buy a Renault, or nice-looking women make me want to buy M&S lingerie.

What it does do - and what VW want to achieve - is to get the brand associated with feelings of safety and protection.

And in a much better way than "Go Compare" - who I will never, ever use whilst they run their current campaign.

BTW - ever see the MB advertising the S-class with the aid of a hamster? Cruel to animals?

And in a much better way than "Go Compare" - who I will never, ever use whilst they run their current campaign.

Love it or hate it, that campaign has clearly achieved its main aim: brand awareness.

In so many cases, people remember an advert, but not what it was for. That can't be said of Go Compare...

How does it pray on people's fears?

What it does do - and what VW want to achieve - is to get the brand associated with feelings of safety and protection.

Wrong way round. VW have already established a brand associated with safety and protection. This ad now exploits that by inculcating fear in the parent for their offspring if they lack this product. It's played out right across all of child associated marketing and taps into the good/bad parent psyche.
But in this ad the child is an adult. That's the part to me that's incongruous with the widely expressed view on this forum that children need to learn how to earn things for themselves by themselves and not just wait until it's given to them. Girl doesn't look tp me to be paying for the car - not with Daddy around.

PS. Totally agree re Go-Compare. Go F*** Off is my sing-a-long line!

Last edited:
Girl doesn't look to me to be paying for the car - not with Daddy around.

Quite. It's crystal clear in the advert that it's been gifted to her as a surprise, with the subtext that it's daddy's way of continuing to protect/smother her.

Wrong way round. VW have already established a brand associated with safety and protection. This ad now exploits that by inculcating fear in the parent for their offspring if they lack this product. It's played out right across all of child associated marketing and taps into the good/bad parent psyche.
But in this ad the child is an adult. That's the part to me that's incongruous with the widely expressed view on this forum that children need to learn how to earn things for themselves by themselves and not just wait until it's given to them. Girl doesn't look tp me to be paying for the car - not with Daddy around.

PS. Totally agree re Go-Compare. Go F*** Off is my sing-a-long line!"

You're not wrong, but up to the point when they introduced the car, it was a heart string pulling ad...cynical yes, but mildly so...would you be taken in by it?

Bring up kids is the hardest job in the world, no doubt.

Part of that is trying to teach them about advertising, and the tricks therein.

Call me a heartless *******, but that VW advert a)makes me want to burn a VW, and b)burn another VW.

Buying your child a shiny new car is not an alternative to the love, care and attention actually required.

So there, bah humbug:)

LOL...It's good to see sensibility has been restored.

For me it could be any old car or new car the CAR in the advert is not what sets me off...

It the fact out little ones are growing up and as many on here you bring them back on that forst trip from the hospital protect them from everything you can. We take our little girl to Ballet and swiming etc etc... Its like watching her growing up and then leaving....

Yes we know that will happen but seeing it in a 2 minuite clip gets me.

Buying a New Car for her is the last thing on my mind.

Buying a sawn off shot gun to welcome her first boyfriend however...

Buying a sawn off shot gun to welcome her first boyfriend however...

Have to say I (thankfully) never encountered an over-protective father.

I know your comment is tongue-in-cheek, but it reflects a certain mindset that seems quite prevalent: "No boy is good enough for my daughter."

Trouble is that if you follow that one through, you're condemning her to live her life as your little girl. And that's where Herr Fritzl went wrong...

Last edited:
So, what adverts make me fill up now I have kids ....

This one.

[youtube]gIXD2pM2aWw[/youtube]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom