Advice after new tyres fitted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lfckeeper

Car
Bmw 5 series (Former W203 C class and 2x W219 CLS owner)
I know new tyres could throw alignment out. But how bad would this be?

New tyres put on this morning now pulls badly to the left... Any advice?

were the tyres that were taken off showing signs of wear (as in a strange wear ) not just worn down. As my way of thinking would be if they have worn to the way the car and tyres sit then it may not be that obvious, but putting new tyres on it (I have these fitted also ) I may well pull.

were the tyres that were taken off showing signs of wear (as in a strange wear ) not just worn down. As my way of thinking would be if they have worn to the way the car and tyres sit then it may not be that obvious, but putting new tyres on it (I have these fitted also ) I may well pull.

Not that i saw... The main thing with my previous tyres was they were horrendous

Was your alignment spot on to start with?

Unless the tyre fitters have been heavy handed, your alignment should not changed. I had multiple sets of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 2 fitted on my W204 C180K and not had any problems.

Might be worth having wheels and new tyres rebalanced to check if any bubble

Was your alignment spot on to start with?

Unless the tyre fitters have been heavy handed, your alignment should not changed. I had multiple sets of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 2 fitted on my W204 C180K and not had any problems.

Might be worth having wheels and new tyres rebalanced to check if any bubble

Yes it was only done a few weeks ago. (nothing happened since like hitting a pot hole or anything)

Im waiting for the managing director to get back to me. The regional manager was in the shop (drive vauxhall in Hartlepool booked through blackcircles) and got quite aggressive with me when I said it was an issue. When I took it back all they did was check the tyre pressure and take it for a drive.

If they don't agree to sort it ill certainly be getting everything checked by my indi garage.

1. The car may have been aligned to accommodate for the previous tyres (which may have had a fault)?

2. If not staggered wheels, try swapping wheels back to front (you won't be able to swap left/right with Asymmetrics). Some tyres have inherent tyre pull from new. Strange but true.

3. Ultimately, assuming all tyre pressures are correct, get the car through full-geometry alignment? Won't hurt it, and as others said I really can't see how this would be the tyre fitter's fault.

Last edited:
Also, not sure where you are, but I would recommend a visit to Tony Bones in Chesham.

Cheers for all the advice, its very much appreciated.

Its going to have the alignment checked tomorrow.

Was more of a disappointment really that it went in to a garage to be 'fixed' (the awful tyres taken off) and comes out worse than it went in.

Quick update... Wheel alignment was done (by a different garage) this morning... Still pulling... The garage who fit the tyres originally have said they'll take it back in and give it a thorough check.

Its stumping me!

May be worth checking there is no "binding" on that wheel?
You may not have noticed with crap tyres or something may have been damaged when refitting the wheels?

Neil

All the MBs that I have owned pull against the road camber.

Try driving on the wrong side of (a deserted) the road nd see if it pulls right here it was previously pulling to the left.

'They all do that sir'.

May be worth checking there is no "binding" on that wheel?
You may not have noticed with crap tyres or something may have been damaged when refitting the wheels?

Neil

Cheers that's what I was thinking.... as i say they're checking it on Monday so ill be very 'interested' if they say binding

Try driving on the wrong side of (a deserted) the road nd see if it pulls right here it was previously pulling to the left.

'They all do that sir'.

Ha, literally just had MB teesside tell me that!

Drove it on a dual carriageway with a right camber, it drove straight on there

My CLK doesn't pull against the camber,so they don't all do that sir. The car needs to go on to a machine like optiflex and be properly set up. I doubt very much if tyres are the root cause of this problem,fitting new tyres may well have magnified an existing fault rather be the cause.

Last edited:

'They all do that sir'.

I used to test for pulling to the left by driving diagonally back and forth across a deserted (flat) car park (e.g. the rear parking area at not-so-busy Motorway services etc).

At any rate.... Tony Bones can sort out most pull-to-the-left issues (though admittedly not all)

Don't forget to get all the front suspension checked for play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom