Advice again please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenzedUP

MB Enthusiast
Car
NA
Hi,

I'll be going abroad for 1 or 2 months soon due to work..

The car will not be used for over a month, i'm worried the battery might die?

can I buy a battery charger and leave it on charge while i'm away?

What do you guys suggest?:confused:

Thanks.

Joe.

Should be alright for a month at this time of year I would say. Maybe take it for a good run before hand to charge the battery nicely, stick some air in the tyres etc.

If it's going to be much longer than a month, let someone take it for a quick spin in between.

Will

If you've got mains power where it's parked then a maintenance charger would keep it topped up, and they're not that expensive. My R129 is on one permanently when parked at home.

But as Will said, if the battery is in decent nick and fully charged before you go then 6-8 weeks should be OK I think.

If its outside then one of those solar panels from maplin that plug in the cir lighter would do.

Daz

If its outside then one of those solar panels from maplin that plug in the cir lighter would do.

Only if the socket is live with the ignition off, which is not the case with most M-Bs (unless you do a rewiring job).

I use a Ring solar charger on the 124 when its in Italy. Connects direct to the battery. Longest we have left it is 4 months and it kept the battery topped up enough to start the car first turn of the key.
As stated above leave the parking brake off.

Thanks for the advice guys, battery is a good MB one which was replaced back in 2009.

I normally leave the car for 3 or 4 weeks and it starts without any problems but this time i'll probably be going for longer.

Might buy the CTEK charger... thanks grober :)

Sweetpea, your more than welcome to come and look after it but only if you let me take your car with me instead of catching the eurostar. :p

Sweetpea, your more than welcome to come and look after it but only if you let me take your car with me instead of catching the eurostar. :p

It can be arranged...;)

Hope you have a safe journey and whatever work you have to do is little, leaving plent of time to enjoy yourself. :thumb:

Thanks for the advice guys, battery is a good MB one which was replaced back in 2009.

I normally leave the car for 3 or 4 weeks and it starts without any problems but this time i'll probably be going for longer.

Might buy the CTEK charger... thanks grober :)

Why not take the C55amg abroad....

If its Europe, insure it for a trip and get driving...

A car like that, when there is an oppertunity to drive, and not to drive it. Its like me leaving an empty plate.

Not in a month of sundays

I wouldn't worry and phone the AA etc. on your return if you do have a problem.

The money saved will buy you a nice meal.

I wouldn't worry and phone the AA etc. on your return if you do have a problem.

The money saved will buy you a nice meal.

Unless the battery is completely flat, then its probably been killed*. A trickle charger while away then sold on ebay is probably cheaper and more convenient.

*happened to me twice...

CTEK maintenance charger mine is plugged in all the time as I spend extended periods away perfect for this sort of job :thumb:

I have friends who regularly go away for months at a time to Australia, South of France etc, and leave it on a charger. CTEK is a great charger that monitors the state of the battery for however long. Also, another friend goes to Turkey regularly for a couple of months and never has a problem starting the car on his return. Would that I had their problem!

Why not take the C55amg abroad....

If its Europe, insure it for a trip and get driving...

A car like that, when there is an oppertunity to drive, and not to drive it. Its like me leaving an empty plate.

Not in a month of sundays

Steve I would if it was for a holiday but no point i'll be up to my head with work I don't want to worry about where my car is parked etc, (I worry allot lol):(

Plus I don't want to put the miles on it for just work, lol not worth it:p:D

is it for sale? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom