Advice and feedback on CLS Shooting Brake 250CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aterrasse

Car
W212 - E-Estate 220CDI Bluefficiency
Dear All,

I am contemplating the CLS Shooting Brake to replace my E-Class estate (model 212). Both cars look very similar from the inside but look quite different from the outside. Not too sure about the road handling of the CLS but I will be test driving one shortly. I have no complain about the e-class handling and driving comfort which are both great.

Any feedback from anyone of you who had, has or even test drove one would be great.

Cheers

A

+ Very nice & stylish
+ Classier than E Estate
+more unusual & rarer on the roads

- but the headroom is much more compromised compared to the E estate.
- Also, it depends how important the load space is to you- if you use it regularly, then the brake has a much less usable boot.

+The boat style cherry wood boot decking option is beautiful though!

Thanks for your kind replies.

To be honest, with 3 children and a wife who uses the boot as a extension of our storage room, I was not planning to for the cherry boot rack!

As to boot size, the space in the E is great but we rarely use it fully unless for holiday trips round the country or when we go to the South of France.

A

If you've got three kids and want to undertake long journeys I don't think you'd get on with the SB. That rear middle seat is a perch, 2 hours on it max.
I also wonder about the fully laden capabilities of the 250 engine.

Good point Regbuser.

is the 250 CDI the same as in the E-Class?

I'd worry about the engine on a car that big, think the 350 CDI should be the one to go far if you can stretch the budget.

Went for a test drive on Saturday. lovely car and fantastically smooth ride. The finish in the interior is absolutely great.

As to the amount of space in the rear seats, clearly it is not as roomy as in the E-class and rather dark in there due to the very shallow at lines. Perhaps an opening roof or a glass roof (if available) can cure that problem. I will enquire as to how much something like that would add to the bill.

Annoyingly, neither sat nav nor electric eater seats come as standard on the 250 CDI. Another two worthy options to add which came as standard with my E-class.

HumberMart said:
Sat Nav is standard. It's the Becker not the Command but I've had both and happy enough with the. Becker.

Thanks for this. I have no idea what the Becker is (I have COMMAND) but will check the point.

Thanks

a

Having driven both 250 and 350 Cdi CLS, and currently running a C-Coupe 250Cdi, I would say go for the 350Cdi if funds permit. The CLS is a luxury car and it is a shame to spoil that with a four cylinder engine.

The 250 goes well enough if you give it full beans, but sounds like it is working hard in the upper reaches of the rev range.
The 350cdi quickly makes the horizon get closer without any other changes.

Having driven both 250 and 350 Cdi CLS, and currently running a C-Coupe 250Cdi, I would say go for the 350Cdi if funds permit. The CLS is a luxury car and it is a shame to spoil that with a four cylinder engine.

The 250 goes well enough if you give it full beans, but sounds like it is working hard in the upper reaches of the rev range.
The 350cdi quickly makes the horizon get closer without any other changes.

My test drive was on a 350. A fantastic engine and what a change from my current 220 CDI pot. Now, the price difference is not even £3,000... The budget would permit the additional expense but I am also conscious of increased road tax and fuel cost. I must check the figures.

A

Appears that only ordinary sunroof available, not panoramic. Probably due to the curved roof line?
-normal sunroof costs £990

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom