Advice and Help For Newbuild Spec Please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrishazle

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 facelift SLK280 Auto.
A good friend has decided it's PC upgrade time and as ever has turned to me for help and advice, but I'm out of my depth (and rather busy nursing wife who's had a big operation recently) so would appreciate help from folk on here who I know are knowledgeable on this sort of thing. All I know is he's prepared to spen up to £1k!

How does the below sound as a computer set up?

Case
PCS 3601 CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
1TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)
2nd Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power Supply
CORSAIR 450W CV SERIES™ CV-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 120 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler (AMD)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Firewire
2 Port IEEE 1394a Firewire PCI-E Card (2 x 6 pin)
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 16 to 19 working days

I've replied as follows :
Why the firewire card? I do have one, only use I (no longer) have for it is downloading from the camcorder I not longer use! Unless you have a use for it, either swop it for a 4 port USB3 card or we can swop from old computer to new. Don’t agree with the SSD/HDD setup. As I’ve said before, I only ever used the primary drive for programs that either I have discs for or can be downloaded, if you look at your current C drive you’re using less than 100Gb for this purpose, mine is 145Gb, so plenty of space on a 240Gb SSD – and if a nasty gets past the defences and buggers your C drive, you only loose easily replaceable stuff, important stuff is elsewhere. However, elsewhere is where you need plenty of space, photos and videos are memory hungry, as is Windows backup. I have a 3Tb HDD partitioned 2Tb for storage and 1Tb for windows backup, that to me is the minimum I think you should have. Is the PSU big enough to allow future upgrades, especially to the CPU? I know I had to change PSU when I upgraded the CPU in my PC! The graphics card, SSD/HDD, USB ports all need power, better to specify a larger PSU at build time and let it work at less than full power than to find later you need to change it! Mobo is ATX so case should allow easy access, much easier than your current mATX!
Graphics card looks fancy, have you considered upgrading your monitor – I suspect your current monitor would not do justice to the graphics capability this will have! Ebuyer often have some good deals. If you look up the spec of the Mobo on asus.com, under tech spec you’ll see a lot more front and rear USB etc ports than your build list shows, I’d not be happy with “MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS” compared to what the asus tech spec shows! PRIME B550-PLUS - Tech Specs|Motherboards|ASUS Global Somewhere along the line need to list all the programs you currently have installed to make sure we can transfer them (or all the ones you want) to the new PC. Then it’ll be the fun of stripping the drives on the old one, installing Win10 from your disc and getting it ready for sale!

Would appreciate any thoughts and comments - sorry it's a long post, but better that than questions!

TIA!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom