Advice best options to fix scratches and scuffs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pfi

Car
C220
Hi ,

This is my back driver side bumper after reversing slightly to a corner.

Screenshot by Lightshot

The car is brand new and those are the only marks really annoyed :wallbash:, took it to the local MB dealer and they want £240 to repair, and it would be ready the same day they would not paint the whole bumper but part of it and fade it half way but they said it would look as good as new and I would never be able to tell the difference,

Took it to three independent repairers and they all said that they would remove and paint the whole bumper (it would take 2 days) and they reckon that that's a better way to do it cause fading it would show after a few years.. prices from (250 to 300).

It's strange that for a scratch they are suggesting to remove the whole bumper when its not scratched anywhere else but maybe it is the best way to be done.. I am not sure really..

What would be the best and more reliable way to repair this in your opinion so you would never know that it happened and would not have any problems with the colour for years.. follow what MB is saying or the independent bodywork repair shops ?

Every guy from the independent places told me that the paint would be exactly the same like MB... is this correct?
Looking for places in the MK area..

Thanks

Last edited:
That is a fairly straightforward repair for an experienced SMART repairer. Cost is likely to be £150 - £170. MB is probably subbing out that repair to a SMART repairer and putting on their mark up to arrive at £240!

A perfectly satisfactory localised repair can be achieved. It really is not necessary to respray the whole bumper!

Mercedes does not manufacture their own paint. There are several suppliers of paint schemes for car manufacturers, bodyshops and SMART repairers and the particular colour is obtained by mixing together a combination of different colour tints in varying quantities. Each of the aforementioned paint schemes will have a colour formulation, usually linked to the vehicle's paint code and accessible via a computer or smartphone software programme.

Phil at 'Super Scuffs' is excellent and not too far from you:

http://www.superscuffs.co.uk/

Last edited:
Removing the bumper eliminates any risk of overspray and is the option I would take.

Mercedes will almost certainly sub the work out to their minor repair man,most main dealers have one,to be fair it is not a bad price,the car is new and cost how much?you do not state the colour but in the photo it is a dark one so will fade in well.

Bumper removal is the best way to get this done.

1) It removes the risk of any over-spray.
2) It allows the paint to be carried over any edges - As opposed up to any masking lines!!
3) They can prep and finish it easily with it off the car - As in (2) no masking lines.
4) Whether they paint the entire panel or not is really down to you and them. However the cost should be the same as the difference in labour between prepping and painting one corner or two is minimal.

I would go with the bumper off option on damage that is this large.

If its masked properly you won't get overspray or masking lines!

Also, don't under estimate the labour to remove and replace a bumper, and the inevitable accessories such as parking sensors / trim!

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone that has responded,
The colour of the car is black but based on the responses it seems that a full bumper respray is the best option...
Not concluded what to do yet, the car has no other scratches whatsoever ,
Thinking of going with MB, taking into account that its a plastic bumper and would is not on the chassis..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom